tank pad removal

Guest cliffy

Guest Thundering Subash

Rubber Grommets. Give a bit of a pull and it'll pop right off. Once off you'll find a bracket securely attached to the tank. It's good to take the tank top pad off from time to time to clean out or dry out what's collected under there. Underneath you'll find loads of storage :not: if you're looking to keep a spare $20 for when you run out of gas or an insurance card (just use a small plastic zip lock bag to keep it dry). :grin:

For those of you that don't know what the *%$#@ this is all about, I think they only put the rubber tank pad thingy's on the 02's and earlier. I recall some funny threads on this topic in the past. :blink:

I personnally like it, as it adds yet another unique dimension or quality to the bike. :mg:

:bike:

Just to add to that, sometimes it easier to remove the pad with the fuel cap assembly removed first. That "ring" of rubber around the filler is tough, but still fairly thin... you woouldn't want to rip it <_>

Not a very good photo, but you get the idea:

IMG_3328.jpg

Does anyone know if the Moto Guzzi Carbon Fiber tank insert mounts the same way as the rubber one does?? CF looks pretty nice there, I don't remember what years/models have (03 rossos??).. Just wondering

I think the 02 Tenni, Scura, and *maybe* the 01 Rosso Mandello?? .... have the CF tank pad replacement CF panel. On those models, I believe the CF panel uses 4 bolts to bolt into the threaded inserts that the brackets in the photo above attach to on 2002 and earlier tanks.

But, the 03 Rosso Corsa, or other late model "limited editions", certainly don't have the CF tank panel, as beginning in 2003 the tanks no long have a "pad" on top, and were redesigned to accomodate the internal fuel-pump. These newer tanks are actually a bit longer at the nose, and now have a solid, taller, and narrower top, festooned with a contrasting color decal stripe where the old "pad" used to be.

al

This is a 2003+ tank:

IMG_3429.jpg

Al, thanks... I saw a CF topped tank a year or so ago at the dealer (FBF) and could not remember the model. At the time I thought it would it would make a nice vis-mod if not too pricey.. I wasn't sure hoew the pad was mounted and was afraid to pry/peel it off in discovery.

Guest John T

But, the 03 Rosso Mandello,

You mean '03 Lemans Rosso Corsa, I'm sure.

The '01 Rosso Mandello (only year) has the soft tank pad like the rest of the sports that year.

But, the 03 Rosso Mandello,

You mean '03 Lemans Rosso Corsa, I'm sure.

The '01 Rosso Mandello (only year) has the soft tank pad like the rest of the sports that year.

...yep, typo :D I usually catch such things on my proof-read, but it was late :rolleyes:

I will correct. Thanks :thumbsup:

So, for clarification, it sounds like only the Scura and Tenni have the CF panel instead of the "pad" ? I wasn't certain.

al