Tank Slapper installation etc.

Guest jerroldt

Guest jerroldt

I have the Tank Slapper kit and was just wondering if anyone has any more application tips other than what is posted on their web site. What concerns me is the area roughed up by the seat. I guess that it will fray eventually. Also, has anyone used S100 cleaner? I got a bottle today and have decided to try it on the Le Mans. Just some idle musings after a rainy evening toying with the bike.

Guest northend

Do as the instructions say. The hardest one to do was the center one, It takes alot of working to get to lay out flat due to the different compound curves at that part of the tank. Don't get frustrated :angry: just keep working it and it will eventually lay flat :thumbsup: . Also use lots of water and keep the edges wet otherwise they may not completely stick. You must also make sure the tank is completely clean, maybe a piece of suede or a chamois to go over the area b4 applying because one hair or a speck of dirt sticks out like a sore thumb :( They do work well at protecting the tank though :grin:

As for the S100 make sure you thouroughly rinse it down, I mean really hose it down or it will leave a white residue.

For that reason alone I just use a good Auto soap like Turtle Wax brand, It seems to work just as good for me.

Hope this helps........Jeff H.

I have the Tank Slapper kit and was just wondering if anyone has any more application tips other than what is posted on their web site. What concerns me is the area roughed up by the seat.

I just installed the kit Sunday night. I just put on the part right in front of the crotch, I doubt I'll use the knee depression area. i followed the direction on TS's web site. Quite straight forward. I ran my well below where the seat hits. What happens long term I don't know. We'll see.

Tank Slapper Rocks :sun:

It'll be fine.... The clear vinyl will discolor a bit where the seat rubs(if it touches), but you won't see it with the seat installed.

After talking to them a while back, they requested that I send them a new design for the "middle" portion(I never used the side knee cutout portions) that is taller and protects more of the tank above and below the seat.

They should have the new design out soon, if not already.

But in regard to installation, patience and perseverance will prevail. Just make sure you keep the vinyl and tank wet, and that both are absolutely clean. Definitely keep a bucket of water handy to dip the vinyl into in case it gets dirty or too dry. You'll have to keep squeegeeing out the water, and patting it with a damp(but still absorbant) clean towel until it dries enough to allow the vinyl to cling.

There will be a frustrating 5 or so minutes of "patting" after you've gotten all the air bubbles out, where it will be too wet to cling to the tank, until it finally dries just enough to cling perfectly. Just keep at it.

Here is updated center I sent:

measured_example.jpg

Guest ksann

Al, are they really going to change the pattern?

Should I wait to order, or were they just blowing smoke?

ken

Hrmm, that's a good question :huh2:

I exchanged email with them last March, and they were very interested in the modified larger piece I had made from one of the side pieces. They said they would make a new version based upon mine after they took it down to their local MG dealer later in April to double-check the fit.

I would send them an email asking about the modified version, and just drop my name, before ordering if you are interested. I'm sure they would be happy to confirm whether the currently shipping the new version or not.

I'll check in with them as well :thumbsup:

al

Received from the Tank Slapper guys today:

Al,

We are using your shape, and we checked it against one we recreated

from a

bike at the dealer and saw no need to make any changes from that test.

We do

plan to revisit the project next time we're down there though with your

design in hand because the "dog ears" on the bottom seem odd, but we

don't

know that it matters that much?

Thanks again for your help,

Lucas

So it appears that they are indeed currently shipping the new larger version.

In regard to the "dog ears" comment, this is a running joke I have with them, where I can't remember why I cut the corners off of the bottom 2 years ago when I made my larger center piece from one of the side knee pieces :huh2:

I think I may have buggered up one corner, and trimmed it to match on the other.... I dunno. But hey, it works, and it's up under the seat anyway :thumbsup:

al

Guest ksann

I already ordered the kit al.

Thanks again for the lead.

First the seat, and now this.

ken