Bitubo Steering Damper Alternatives

Question: Has anyone found good replacements for the OEM Bitubo steering damper?

On the non faired bikes like the V11 Sport, Cafe' Sport, Ballabio, etc... an Ohlins will bolt right up, but with the fairing on the LeMans, along with the air-deflector around the forks... only a single tube coaxial unit like the Bitubo will fit. This is why the Nero and Rosso Corsa are equipped with the Bitubo, instead of the Ohlins like Cafe' Sport, et al.

So, since I am on my second Bitubo(The first one blew up, as they seem wont to do <_ and even when new they aren that great... i was just starting to look around for an affordable alternative might be a bit more durable.>

Thanks!

al

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al,

Having ridden my Rosso pretty hard, I don't think the bike really needs a steering dampner. The stock dampner is always backed off in its setting, you could say the Bitubo is just going for the ride.

Mike

It is a pissoff to have the thing sweating it's fluid contents all over the front of the bike. If an Ohlins were'nt so expensive I'd chuck the thing.

I honestly don't think it is needed unless really, really pushing it hard, then other things like frame flex, etc take over the whole picture.

Ciao, Steve G.

I did ride my red-frame without the bitubo for a while

but I seen some serious cases of tank slap, so I got

a use Öhlins damper and slapped it on.

It seems to me that the 2000 and 01 bikes need the steering dampner more than the 02 and newer bikes.

My 2000 V11 Sport does shake its head (a few times today) when on the throttle hard (full throttle) and going over bumps (front end gets light?). My 03 Rosso shows no signs of head shake at any speed. I guess the one inch. longer wheel base helps out here.

Mike

I have to say that the steering damper is a useful item to have on my 03 LeMans.

For the first time today, I had some problems with front end wobble. I'm sure it was a combination of road surface, high head winds, the slightly higher windshield and speeds approaching the century mark. The problem was alleviated by reaching down and adjusting the damper. I'm glad MG put one there. :thumbsup::mg:

ok all, dumb question time-- when I got my bike (used with 4.9k on it) the previous owner said he didn't like it cause the bike wouldn't turn for him! When I got the bike I set the damper (stock) for fairly light turning. Made all the difference in the world to me. The le mans dove into turns nicely- the whole bike felt light and nimble. In hard turns though the front end wants to jump around on me! So now, 3 weeks with my bike and 1000 miles later, my front tire's left side tread is almost completely gone and the right half looks terrific. Related to steering damper???

I dialed mine off....didn't seem to do much, except slow down the initial turn in. The 03 Rosso seems to be very stable. I don't really care for the stock tires, bridgstones, that came with the bike. They seem hard and have mid turn squirm...Great chassis and suspension though! :mg::thumbsup:

Interesting, although I've never heard of Matris, nor have any idea with regard to long term durability :huh2: Anyone?

Matris-M4.jpg

I wouldn't mind spending ~$200 on this damper if I could feel confident it would last such that I wouldn't have to worry about a blown damper again.

Another "single tube" design is by HyperPro, but they are pricey, and again I just don't know much about them. Anyone have experience with them, especially in regard to durability?

Then there's a used "MToby" damper on eBay from a Sport1100 from my friend Pete in the UK. I have never even heard of that make before, so anything anyone has to say(such as if it will fit the LeMans :P ) is helpful.

I've got a note to Pete to measure the damper in comparison to the OEM Bitubo unit.

al

al

Guest Marcel

Hi,

I haven't heard of anybody being dissatisfied with Hyperpro products so far, but this relates to springs and shocks. Don't know about anybody with a Hyperpro steering damper. They are regarded as a top-end producer of suspension products in this part of the world. I only have the springs in my other bike, and am very satisfied about the product.

HyperPro steering dampers are top of the line,

comparable to Öhlins units. Only heard praise

on swedish sport bike and racing fora.

Only complaint is that it is expensive.

Al, hyperpro is a dutch product. For a small country we have a lot of suspension companys. First there was WP, then hyperpro and technoflex came.

All make nice high end products you can trust.

The hyperpro and technoflex founders first worked at Wp, but had other ideas how to make the best thing, so started for themselves.

http://www.wpsuspension.com/

http://www.technoflex-suspension.com/

http://www.hyperpro.com/

I have to say that the steering damper is a useful item to have on my 03 LeMans.

For the first time today, I had some problems with front end wobble. I'm sure it was a combination of road surface, high head winds, the slightly higher windshield and speeds approaching the century mark. The problem was alleviated by reaching down and adjusting the damper. I'm glad MG put one there. :thumbsup::mg:

Steering dampeners do not cure handling problems thats what suspesnion setup is for. Steering dampeners merely disguise the symptoms.