Bitubo Steering Damper Alternatives

I dialed mine off....didn't seem to do much, except slow down the initial turn in.  The 03 Rosso seems to be very stable.  I don't really care for the stock tires, bridgstones, that came with the bike.  They seem hard and have mid turn squirm...Great chassis and suspension though! :mg:  :thumbsup:

24889[/snapback]

I put a Michelin Pilot Sport on the front of my V11 and a major difference. The front end seems stuck to the pavement. The ride is not quite as plush though. I think it was a good trade off. My Bitubo doesn't leak and adjusting it on the fly is noticeable and convenient. In case anyone wonders if Bitubo is crap or not, Aprilia was using Bitubo suspension on their WSBikes when Corser was racing for them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the stock ones really go bad that fast? or are ppl just wanting something different? as in buying shoes you don't need but they look good?

45496[/snapback]

Just a guess, but if you have a suspension mechanic near you, he may have some seals etc to rebuild the stock one.

In case anyone wonders if Bitubo is crap or not, Aprilia was using Bitubo suspension on their WSBikes when Corser was racing for them.

The unit fitted on our bike is crap :vomit:

Remove it and take test drive without it and you will know how

bad it is for the handling of the bike, it make everything unnessacary

stiff even in it's loosest setting.

An Öhlins or HyperPro unit with loose setting is unnoticable until you need it,

that is what I want and got. :race:

The unit fitted on our bike is crap  :vomit:

that is what I want and got.  :race:

45601[/snapback]

gthyni, please see my response to you on the previous page. On a different post, you stated you have a SD100 (120mm). Your model has the same bracket as the SD110 that I have (opposed to the SD120 Ducati "L" bracket). Any chance you have a picture of your install? This would really help.

thanks!

gthyni, please see my response to you on the previous page.  On a different post, you stated you have a SD100 (120mm).  Your model has the same bracket as the SD110 that I have (opposed to the SD120 Ducati "L" bracket).  Any chance you have a picture of your install?  This would really help.

I had a SD100 but I am switching to a SD110.

The bike is in pieces right now and I am removing th oil cooler

when it is put together again (V-sump benefit).

I also have a different lower yoke since I have a Paioli fork instead of the

stock Marzocchi, so the geometry get a little different.

The best I can give you is this pic:

http://kirra.net/v11/nuda5.jpg

I get very close to the oil cooler but it do work,

it was even less tight with the original fork/yoke.

My frame is a 2001, geometry changed a bit in 2002 and on.

The unit fitted on our bike is crap  :vomit:

that is what I want and got.  :race:

45601[/snapback]

How do you know that?

I am very happy with my Bitubo.

I set it just loose enough that it does not interfere with slow parking lot maneuvers and it seems to knock the shakes off just a little at high speeds.

You seem to imply that I could get an even looser but steadier feel with one that is not 'crap'.

I understand how an old friction damper cannot compare to a hydraulic damped unit.

But I have trouble understanding how one could even engineer a better one than the Bitubo.

In order to work better it seems that a damper would have to recognize the difference between rider input and an oscillation.

I find it difficult to believe the Dutch makers have got it figured out while Bitubo simply make "crap".

But then again you have had both and I have not.

Perhaps it is kind of like high speed vs. low speed damping in shock absorbers...something I still don't understand. :huh2:

Guest Brian Robson

I also understand the concept of low and high speed damping, and feel that the LeMans is tilted towards high speed effects. In riding through the streets here in the Lower Mainland, I long for the softer more responsive suspension, but on longer and faster rides, I find the suspension pretty good.

I don't know the model # of the Ohlins used on the Cafe Sport, etc.... but you can find used Ohlins on eBay all the time for relatively cheap.  So find one that is the right length, and it should bolt right on  :luigi:

al

45420[/snapback]

After numerous phone calls, here's the deal on the Cafe's Ohlins damper:

It is not a stock Ohlins part number, I spoke to Ohlins USA and they could not come up with anything. Turns out that Ohlins makes them special for Guzzi and Aprilla. You can try to use a universal Ohlins (SD110, etc), but without the special L bracket, it is very close (and hits if you’re not careful) to the oil cooler. The L bracket allows it to be mounted with the 2 reservoir stacks on top of each other (like the Cafe's) instead of side-by-side, parallel to the groud, with the universal mount.

The Guzzi Cafe Sport part number is 0153-0290 (0153-0291 is the Bitubo). Price after MG and dealer markups = a whopping $443 MSRP. If you're interested, the MG USA warehouse has them in stock.

I think the only reason several people have suggested that the Bitubo damper is "crap" is simply because they seem to have a relatively high failure rate.... not necessarily in regards to performance.

Mine blew its seals, and consequently all its oil, within just a few thousand miles... and it was not abused nor cranked up :huh2:

I've seen several similar reported failures.

al

I have the universal ohlins mounted on my LeMans. no problem. Think outside the box. I'd post a photo but I don't think I can get a decent picture.80 or 90 mm stroke...can't remember which :luigi:

andy

I have the universal ohlins mounted on my LeMans. no problem. Think outside the box. I'd post a photo but I don't think I can get a decent picture.80 or 90 mm stroke...can't remember which :luigi:

andy

45888[/snapback]

my box must have 4ft concrete walls...cause I got nothing. :huh2: would love to see a picture, even if it is hard to see.

I think the only reason several people have suggested that the Bitubo damper is "crap" is simply because they seem to have a relatively high failure rate.... not necessarily in regards to performance.

Mine blew its seals, and consequently all its oil, within just a few thousand miles... and it was not abused nor cranked up  :huh2:

I've seen several similar reported failures.

al

45882[/snapback]

I get tired of people saying that half the parts on our bike our crap.

I get the impression that people think that:

The OE tires are crap,

the 2000/2001 frames are crap,

the front brake disks and pads are crap,

the rear brakes pads and disks are crap,

the wheels are crap,

the rear shock is crap,

the front forks are crap,

the handlebars are crap,

the headlight is crap,

the turn signals are crap,

the stock mirrors are crap,

the seat is crap,

the ECU map is crap

the paint is crap,

the valves are crap,

the porting is crap,

the crank rods are crap,

the rear brake lever is crap,

the fuel pump position is crap,

the rubber intake manifolds are crap, etc.

While many of the things above can be improved on, crap is too strong a term.

Sure if I had an extra $20000, I'd replace everything on that list.

And eventually I just might...

Some things that I think really are crap are:

The original aluminum oil cooler brackets are crap.

The tachometer is crap.

The oil breather line is crap.

The wiring design of the lighting wiring through the starter relay on early bikes is crap.

That is my opinion and I am sticking to it, until I start replacing other parts....

Of course if you had more than one steering damper go bad, I guess you have the right to call it crap, but my piece of crap damper is doing just fine, and even makes an excellent steering stop by bodging it with a hose clamp! :grin:

How do you know that?

I am very happy with my Bitubo.

I set it just loose enough that it does not interfere with slow parking lot maneuvers and it seems to knock the shakes off just a little at high speeds.

You seem to imply that I could get an even looser but steadier feel with one that is not 'crap'.

Have you tried running without the damper?

The bike handles perfectly well, better in slow speed and perfectly

steady in high speed. The only reason I would not recommend it

is the extra safety you get against wobbles and tank slaps with a

damper.

Still it the feel you get when running without a damper you would

like to have and still get the befits of the dampers:

- safety against tank slaps

- the option to stiff the steering up when running bumpy roads.

I understand how an old friction damper cannot compare to a hydraulic damped unit.

But I have trouble understanding how one could even engineer a better one than the Bitubo.

In order to work better it seems that a damper would have to recognize the difference between rider input and an oscillation.

I find it difficult to believe the Dutch makers have got it figured out while Bitubo simply make "crap".

But then again you have had both and I have not.

Perhaps it is kind of like high speed vs. low speed damping in shock absorbers...something I still don't understand. :huh2:

The magic is low internal resistans which gives you smoothness,

and there is no short cuts. It requires sophisticated production methods

and low production tolerences. It gets expensive to output supreme

quality suspension products.

I easily can feel the difference in smoothness beteen my Öhlins/Bitubo steering dampers

and between the OEM Marzocchi fork and the Paioli unit I got on now.

BTW,

Öhlins is swedish.

HyperPro which also makes equally excellent steering dampers is dutch.