Bitubo Steering Damper Alternatives

Thanks for the reply :bier:

I am still sceptical.

Sorry about misplacing your nation's fine product to the credit of the dutch. :nl:

My one experience with an Ohlins upgrade was on a BMW 100GS and it totally transformed the bike, so maybe there is something to be said about quality.

But I thought it had more to do with design than mechanical specs.

So, in about twenty years I will have finished removing all the crap from my bike, but by then half of replacement parts will be osolete crap. But the Bitubo is about the last thing on my dream list:wacko:

I just have to make more money.

The American dollar is biting.

It might be a good time to look at some American products...Is Penske American? Or I may go with a Works shock....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get tired of people saying that half the parts on our bike our crap.

I get the impression that people think that:

The OE tires are crap,

the 2000/2001 frames are crap,

the front brake disks and pads are crap,

the rear brakes pads and disks are crap,

the wheels are crap,

the rear shock is crap,

the front forks are crap,

the handlebars are crap,

the headlight is crap,

[snip]

.... well, I don't know about all the other bits being "crap", and I haven't heard quite that level of "crappiness" suggested, although it is true that many people have enjoyed finding replacements for many of these items just out of personal preference.

Although, from my time on Sport-Touring.Net, it is pretty much accepted that the BT020s are indeed kreeeeeeeee-rap :P

But anyway, I too stuck with the Bitubo damper until it failed, and can only add the following: My dealer was totally unsurprised when mine failed, and ordered a new one sight-unseen as they "had seen many of them fail" :huh2: So take that as you will.

Again, I have not meant to impugn the performance of the Bitubo, just question its durability based on my personal experience.

And if I thought that whole list of items were "crap", I'd be looking for a different bike methinks :P Almost all of the parts I've replaced were simply from personal preference, and having fun tinkering.... not because they were necessarily bad. But I think I've pointed that out before :D

I think that seems to be the case for most of us here, replacing/improving parts for the sheer fun of tinkering or improving the bike... not necessarily suggesting that the whole kit, or even a large portion, is "crap". .....honestly ;)

al

I have the universal ohlins mounted on my LeMans. no problem. Think outside the box. I'd post a photo but I don't think I can get a decent picture.80 or 90 mm stroke...can't remember which :luigi:

andy

45888[/snapback]

Andy,

Can you provide a good photo or two of the install, and model # of the Ohlins used?

Mike Stewart and I went through several models of Ohlins, including the Aprilia OEM unit that has the mount integrated to the body, and were unable to get it to clear the "air-dam" under the fairing(that goes around the fork legs) due to the Ohlins twin-tube(wide) design.

al

Maybe this is an option for the LeMans

mc_sd_mx.jpg

http://www.ohlins.se/mc_sd_mx.shtml

Motocross & Enduro

A new updated version of the Off-Road steering damper is now available from Öhlins.

Features:

• A new improved low-speed adjuster that secures the adjustment knob from coming off accidentally and gives a better click-feeling when adjusting the low speed damping.

• Damping force fading reduced significantly.

• Internal friction and wear minimized giving improved service life.

• Flat bottom for easier mounting on bike in either direction.

• Part No. SD 415 (damping both ways).

• Part No. SD 425 (no damping back to centre).

Guest ratchethack

Interesting topic. FWIW, I'm also happy with my Bitubo steering damper. Every now & then mine weeps a little bit, probably mostly due to temp changes, but it's original with 22K mi on it and has always worked very well. I note that many riders simply don't use steering dampers by choice because they don't like the feel of any damping whatsoever. Another category of riders can't seem to find any functional benefits. Still another kind couldn't care less what it's for, and just seem to ignore it.

I've always dialed in steering damping on every bike I've owned that was fitted with a damper. Adjustment "on the fly" according to terrain, surface, and speed is a 30-year old habit. Even the great big bakelite knob on the friction damper on my A65 BSA was well used. I use it not simply for safety reasons - though for me, some degree of insurance against and control over the dreaded tank slapper is certainly a biggie, but because I much prefer the feel of the bike with light to moderate damping all the time. I find that with moderate and above damping cranked in at higher speeds, &/or on uneven surfaces, just when maximum control over the dreaded TS is needed the most, it feels much more controllable with more damping. Steering damping just seems to help me at all times to ride more smoothly and predictably, to improve my "line" not only in the curvy stuff, but on the straight. I find that it makes a bike track more naturally, with less nervousness or wavering. Since I frequently adjust the Bitubo as I ride, I J-B welded a little bump on the adjustment knob as a reference, so I can feel exactly where it's set. Works like a champ. :thumbsup:

A few days back, chasing my Pal LeMans Dan in the mountains, I came upon a brick-sized rock hiding in a shadow as I exited a tight left-hander. It must have registered as a leaf in my subconscious at first, because I only became aware of it just before it launched the front end about 4-6" up & to the right while I was still heeled over, hard on the gas. In reflex, I momentarily backed off the throttle while the fork did 2-3 slow side-to-side oscillations before calming down completely. It was only a second or so before I was back on the gas, and there was no undue drama. Nice. :blush: It was one of those circumstances where I was thankful not only for the Bitubo damper, but also for the "Peterbilt" strength of the stock wheels, despite their generous heft.

Now having sung the joys of the Bitubo, I can imagine a better steering damper -_- . It'd possibly not weep quite as perceptibly, and it might be a tad more speed-sensitive (as mentioned above). That is, it would offer progressive adjustability over a range of damping with greater resistance to the sharpest inputs, yet at the same time retain a nice range of "silky smooth" damping at normal low-speed inputs. When the Bitubo does begin to "crap out", I'll be in search of an upgrade. I reckon I might find one I like better, though as mentioned, these are precision devices, so it's no doubt gonna cost me. <_<

Rgds.,

Ratchethack

snip

45937[/snapback]

Yah, I apologize.

I exaggerated a little bit.

I just get ticked off if someone calls my parts crap when they work great for me.

If someone calls our bike crap we would give them an argument, unless we are the ones with the cursed lemons.

My bike has been on the road for over 4 years and 25,000 miles and most of the parts are doing fine.

I can forgive you for calling the damper crap if you have had two fail, I 'd call it crap, too.

But I think you and your dealer just had bad luck and there was a bad batch.

A bad batch is probably what happened with the three or four Sachs shocks that cracked.

It does not mean that the 99% of Sachs shocks that won't crack are crap.

Someone just posted problems with PCIIIs, yet it would not be fair to call them crap.

Gthyni called the Bitubo crap, apparently because of the performance or lack there of.

He is comparing it to the best dampers money can buy.

Is anything less crap!?!

I am comparing it to the old friction dampers of yesterday.

So, in my book it is HIGH-PERFORMANCE and reliable.

Crap is too strong a word. That is my story and I am sticking too it.

Since using web forums I learned not to take stuff too literally. Face to face with someone, their manner & inflexions put a slant on what they say. Here, print is absolute. After a while you get to know where people are coming from & you take what they say accordingly.

We all use the bikes differently & what works for one won't necessarily work for another. But often people assume that their experience is the only valid viewpoint. If it works for me how can it not work for someone else? To me some tyres are "crap" - they're not that bad - (ever tried pneumants???) - but they cause me problems for the use I put the bike to so I don't like them, when I can have something more suitable. That's what I compare them with.

English is not the first language of some members & some subtlety is probably lost...

Another thing is people (me inc.) readily voice judgements about how good something is w/o ever having tried anything else.

FWIW I like the Ohlins steering damper. I never liked dampers before, even cutting of the mounting brkt on one Tonti frame. Like Mike, I felt that if you needed a damper then there was something more fundamental that you weren't sorting, either with the bike or with your riding. These were ol friction type ones. On Scura I kept it backed off for the first few k miles. Now I keep it set about half way & it does just what Ratchethack describes above, improves the feel of the bike. Dunno wether it's better or worse than any other quality hydraulic damper but it works for me, it has very subtle, effective adjustment from zero & looks & feels very nicely made.

KB :sun:

Wow, I've never seen so many, or anyone, get so worked up over a steering damper, :huh2: Maybe they could have used something better but Like its been said with the ohlins "implants on a grandmother" Its all relative I think every(almost every) part on this V11 is a vast improvement over the crome painted plastic, cheap alum, REALLY bumpy ride of my last bike <_ maybe we are driving cadilacs or for some ppl a ferrari but thats not what i was looking and love the trade offs feel can do anything knee down on tight turn nice cruise day looked all over didn find too many bikes at that gave you kind of rideability reliability how r1s will see hell goldwings track so me take flaws live with them bike src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_wub.png" alt=":wub:"> The damper is very nice to me better than any I've ridden, the shocks are better than any I've had and the power is nice and lowend the way it should be. I can see how its hard once smoking Good Cigars to go back to the cheaper ones. :rasta: I'll just not try and ride a V11 with ohlins so I'm not tempted to empty my bank account. ^_^

:mg:

Guest Brian Robson
(ever tried pneumants???) 

KB :sun:

45996[/snapback]

They were the tyres on my MZ250 and were very strange. After those and a cheap pair of Barums, every other tyre is brilliant. :bier:

They were the tyres on my MZ250 ...

Same here. Hand carved from bakelite - even think about the front brake on a wet road & it'd lock up.... :wacko:...me next MZ came on cut slicks, & it was a blast! :D

I haven't quite read all the threads here but I have replaced the Bitubo steering damper with a WP (White Power) and it is Top since the last 15K kilometers that I am using it.

I have a Sport Corsa 1100i and I don't know whether it will fit exact on your machine.Main point is that where that thing is located there was very little space and only this WP was in the right size (+quality) to fit. Besides all the other dumpimg on my MG is from WP (factory).It may fit at yours too.

I 'll give you the serial numbers of the type of the WP and maybe you can try out for your self it it goes.Will be worth the try.

The number of it is 1508 and the codes that there are on the box are 1508 S90 R/STD

The WP is of top Quality and there are reparable (spare parts-service.ect.ect.) if needed

Will try to attach photos .

BTW this WP has also a little "gas tank" and 32 adjusments,you'll find one,and the damping so far is perfect :D

The ohlins is also of perfect quality if it also fits to your bike is also a fie choice.

Other Experiences.:

Last September I had visited Dynotec in Germany (www.dynotec.de) and rode one of their bikes.It was a blue V11 with minor adjustments i.e twinSpark plugs air filter-chip-exaust (BOS) producing a ganuine 100+HP at the wheel ,I took it for a ride because I was thinking to do the same adjustments to my bike.Anyway the point is that there was no steering damper on the bike, I could feel the front steering a little light (the whole bike was lighter)though its forks felt planted on the ground.(these guys have all the know how).

After speaking about this subject too with Jens (Hoffmann-the one who's making themoster power guzzis and owner of the firm)he told me that these Guzzis (mine too) don't really need (or suffer)a steering damper.

That is also an opinion that you might need to know.Well of course the way I like to feel my steering and have it a bit heavier + I meet bumpy roads most time my damper has given me so far more confidence (because I have something there, that I have the steering feel that I like and the way I like it)

Yes it is the way you want it to be,you ride the bike, if it feels better the way you ride I think this is the most important criteria :bier:

P.S. Nice to meet you all this is my first post here.I Live in Europe

Ohlins on a LeMans...I remember now :homer: I pressed out the sperical bearing that came stock in the mount. Then I machined a piece of aluminium the length I needed to press fit in its place( the bearing) I think it was the 80 mm stroke universal :race:

andy