Popping and misfiring

Guest IanJ

Quick update on my popping and coughing Le Mans. The dealership had it for less than 24 hours, and determined that the mixture was at fault. Apparently they'd tested the CO level when the bike was cold, and it was running about 3%, where it's supposed to be. But, when the bike got warm, the CO level dropped to 1.8%, where that engine isn't supposed to be running well at all. They readjusted the mixture, air bypass screws, and another idle adjustment, and the misfiring is all gone.

Now I just have to reconcile myself to the fact that this bike is going to get 25-27 MPG (8.7-9.4 l/100km)... I guess that's what I get for riding a sexy Italian motorcycle for a dumpy in-city commute. :D

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I had balanced the TB's with mercury sticks. My Dealer then set them up with a Twin Max and proved to me that my mercury sticks weren't as accurate!

Rich,

I'm looking for an alternative to my Motion Pro mercury carb stix (work ok on my 4 cylinder Kawi but not so good on the MG it seems)

You mention the Twin Max system. Are these electronic or analog gauges? What sort of cost are we looking at?

Gio

I saw an article about a homemade balancing system either in here or in guzzitech.com that uses water as the medium in clear plastic hose. Since water is about 10 times less dense than mercury the accuracy should be better.

just to have some popping and misfiring after synchronising the throttle body's it was ok just happenden at low rpm (in those slow turns that's always intresting) BUT!! :bike::bike: after my first BIG ride (14 hours in the saddle) it seems to be cured! i don't ask how or why and just accept it and ride it! hard! that just to be the solution before though just keeping it up 4krpm my dealer said that would do the trick and help keeping the transmission healthy

jap