half-pull throttle availability???

dlaing

This custom piece sounds very interesting. As you continue to tinker and fine tune, and you find you really like how it works, maybe you could put together some working drawings and some of us could have the part made at a machine shop out of aluminum?

al

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also like their frame braces!

David, did you ever find a source for those frame braces? I don't remember when Guzzi went to them - not on my '97 sport i but they were on Bill Ross' ('03?) Le Mans.

I've thought it would be nice to add that bit of factory upgrade. No idea if it's a bolt on, or if some sort of welding for attachment to sump / frame needs to be fabricated. Do you know?

TIA.

Pierre

David, did you ever find a source for those frame braces?  I don't remember when Guzzi went to them - not on my '97 sport i but they were on Bill Ross' ('03?) Le Mans.

I've thought it would be nice to add that bit of factory upgrade.  No idea if it's a bolt on, or if some sort of welding for attachment to sump / frame needs to be fabricated.  Do you know?

TIA.

Pierre

73537[/snapback]

No, just http://www.guzzisport.com/html/top_031123.html

But it is pretty clear that they just bolt on. (but not on your Sporti)

v11_p07.jpgv11_p08.jpg

And here is another shot of their throttle wheel.

slt_ply.gif

No, just http://www.guzzisport.com/html/top_031123.html

But it is pretty clear that they just bolt on. (but not on your Sporti)

v11_p07.jpgv11_p08.jpg

Didn't realize they were installed at that location. I was thinking of the one's Guzzi went to on later spine frames - the ones from just above the sump to the plate at intersection of frame and swing arm pivot. you can see it here: v11lm_08.jpg

Did all V-11's get those, or only later ones?

Thanks again.

Pierre

Pierre, this was one of the many changes introduced on the 2002 model. The original V11's didn't have this extra bracing.

Rob

73566[/snapback]

Thanks Rob. Does it look to you like it could be retro fitted to earlier spine frames? If so, how much fabrication to do it do you think?

Sean? Dave? Ratchet? Todd? Jim?

I'm getting mine up there in HP and thinking this may not be a bad idea.

TIA.

Pierre

Thanks Rob.  Does it look to you like it could be retro fitted to earlier spine frames?  If so, how much fabrication to do it do you think?

TIA.

Pierre

73576[/snapback]

Yah, I would probably do the lower mod you suggest before the upper.

The factory refabricated the frame, so doing it with genuine guzzi parts would be very expensive, but just fabricating something out of aluminum or steel or carbon fiber or fiberglass could help make the bike more rigid.

Atleast on the right side, you could just clamp on to the frame and bolt on to the engine.

I'll have to look closer.

I was even thinking of doing something with cables, which would only help in tension, and therefore only be half as effective, perhaps even less under accelleration, but twice as easy, maybe???

Guest ratchethack
Thanks Rob.  Does it look to you like it could be retro fitted to earlier spine frames?  If so, how much fabrication to do it do you think?

TIA.

Pierre

73576[/snapback]

Pierre, even though I'm a self-confessed "Road Geez", dedicated to such abject foolishness as riding on mountain roads routinely using less than full throttle, and gladly letting the dyno-peak-chasing Boy Racer Squids rocket past my left ear (occasionally all the way over the armco and eventually into the back of the meat wagon <_< ), I've actually given this some thought!

Seems to me I'd need ~10-20 ft.-lbs. more torque than I've got to "wind up" appreciable flex in the stock chassis, and possibly as much as ~30-40 ft.-lbs. more than I'm actually using most of the time. But that's just me. -_-

You'd obviously have to be at max-output RPMs and WOT to make this happen, and you'd obviously have to be at max outpput RPMs and WOT a significant portion of the time before you'd have any chance of realizing any difference. There may actually be somebody in this category somewhere, maybe on a racetrack... :huh2:

Doing the conversion without making a fabulous bodge out of it would require so much tedious & fiddly machining to retro-fit the bracing, IMHO, that I'm sure it'd be far less expensive, and you'd have better results in the end by trading your bike in.

BAA TJM & YMMV

Yah, I would probably do the lower mod you suggest before the upper.

73588[/snapback]

If you come uo\p with anything please let me know. I may run it past Rob North - since it appears from responses here that this isn't a "bolt up" deal.

Thanks.

Pierre

If you come uo\p with anything please let me know.  I may run it past Rob North - since it appears from responses here that this isn't a "bolt up" deal.

I can't take it any more... The lower piece is bolt-on as far as the frame, but the newer cases have a cast threaded boss' where it meets the cases. You could buy the lower/newer frame piece, and drill and tap the cases to make it work Pierre. Don't know what real gains you'd get for the expense in a real world application... honestly.

Be glad to go in depth further on the GuzziTech.com webboard.

Seems to me I'd need ~10-20 ft.-lbs. more torque than I've got to "wind up" appreciable flex in the stock chassis, and possibly as much as ~30-40 ft.-lbs. more than I'm actually using most of the time.  But that's just me. -_- 

No, I think you're probably right. My comment was ill considered in any event. As I think it through, I don't believe it was done to handle additional HP. I mean, Guzzi really hasn't achieved significant HP increase since the square head was born.

However, there has been significant improvement in rubber since '96 - as well as the amount of rubber at the rear. As I recall, the early V-11s had a reputation for some squirly behavior. Makes me wonder if the bracing is to counter act stresses induced by greater loadings available with superior rubber. I'm thinking in "transition" or encountering road irregularities while chassis already loaded up from cornering - rubber holds firm and chassis flexes. Not an engineer, so no way for me to tell what those braces add to the ridgidity quotient - or exactly in what direction. But yes, I agree with you - it's probably not HP driven.

Doing the conversion without making a fabulous bodge out of it would require so much tedious & fiddly machining to retro-fit the bracing, IMHO, that I'm sure it'd be far less expensive, and you'd have better results in the end by trading your bike in.

OK -trading it in is off the table - she's a keeper. So lets just cut directly to "tedious," "fiddly" and "expensive" machining. :thing:

I'll let you guys know if rob has any answers - and how expensive they are.

Thanks all.

Pierre

I can't take it any more... The lower piece is bolt-on as far as the frame, but the newer cases have a cast threaded boss' where it meets the cases. You could buy the lower/newer frame piece, and drill and tap the cases to make it work Pierre. Don't know what real gains you'd get for the expense in a real world application... honestly.

73593[/snapback]

Todd, didn't see your post before I executed a full launch into the realm of pseudo engineering. I'll take a look and if it seems doable without much expense - then upgrading to current factory spec can't hurt. See my response to ratchet for why I think that - and please don't giggle while reading.

Pierre

Guest ratchethack

73593[/snapback]

I'll be damned, there IS a guy on a racetrack somewhere! Heh, heh. :grin:

Yeah, Todd - I actually considered all of this at one point. How much labor d'ya think's involved getting the block out, machining a flat on the boss, getting the block set up on a drill press & tapping it out? I might possibly attempt it without a drill press, but I'd never consider it without having the block separated on a bench with the flywheel off.

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

I'll be damned, there IS a guy on a racetrack somewhere!  Heh, heh. :grin:

Yeah, Todd - I actually considered all of this at one point.  How much labor d'ya think is involved getting the block out, machining a flat on the boss, getting the block set up on a drill press & tapping it out?  I might possibly attempt it without a drill press, but I'd never consider it without having the block separated on a bench.

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

73599[/snapback]

just thinking about doing all that for virtually no reason(we're not talkin about a sway bar) makes me shutter. But like I've said b4 if you run out of things to tinker on you might as well move on. :huh2: