Right Hand Drive Headlight

Martin Barrett

Now most of my night time driving is done either under street lights or on the motorway, where there's often other vehicles lights interferring with my spread. I hadn't really given it that much thought before.

But tonight, being a bank (public) holiday, whilst returning home from work on the near empty motorway. I could see the pattern of my dip beam spread.

I was thinking about blanking off parts of the lens for Continental touring (The gathering in Holland in September) When I realised with the actual pattern being The cut off going from left to right , is horizontal and then 45% forward.

A Left Hand Drive pattern for driving on the right, to illuminate the nearside and not blind oncomming traffic!

Now this isn't my original headlight. The original was severly damaged by a thrown up stone. They changed the whole unit as had one left over from the warranty work on the loose reflectors.

So do UK, Australian and Japanese (and any where else who drives on the correct side of the road) models normally have a Right Hand Drive headlight? Has the wrong one been fitted?

Or given the fact that vibration unwinds the adjuster, so that most of the time it only illuminates the bit of tarmac immediatly in front of the wheel, who cares :)

Yes Martin, motorcycle reflectors/lenses are indeed directional, and bikes delivered to the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, etc, where you drive/ride on the left, will have a different reflector pattern [often just opposite] than in countries that drive/ride on the right.

Ciao, Steve G.

Martin,

Pretty sure my bike has UK pattern lens. Haven't been out in the dark for a while but I remember thinking the headlight was very good ( but then I came from a Lucas pattern lamp... :o ).

KB :sun: