FYI: Mg Ti Kit and Sport1100 Exhaust Hangars

Just as an FYI, after ordering a salvage set of Sport1100 exhaust hangars from a bike breaker in the UK, and also ordering the hangars from MG for their Ti Exhaust Kit, I found that they are identical parts :huh:

Neither will bolt right up to the V11 rear subframe, but the MG Ti Kit also comes with a set of adapter plates to mate the Sport1100 hangars.

The only difference is that the MG Ti hangars are painted black, where the Sport1100 hangars are silver.

So, if for some reason you need a set of either, just a handy cross reference.

al

The Sport1100 bracket(silver) is on the left and the MG Ti kit bracket(black) is on the right, and the adapter plate is above.

The MG Ti kit bracket is simply painted black, versus a thick powder coat like the normal V11 hangar, so the finish is a bit more fragile... mine arrived new from MGNA already knicked up :unsure:

Here is the Sport1100 hangar, in combination with the adapter plate, in a mock-up install with my exhausts.

Note that the adapter plate and hangars themselves can be installed in a couple different configurations that will work, but will put the passenger peg, and exhaust mount at slightly different angles/heights depending. The combination I've chosen in the photo below preserves the peg height as close as possible to the original V11 passenger pegs, and allows the exhaust clamp to be further back along the can for better mounting/leverage.

I believe this configuration is actually in reverse to how the kit is installed in the photos I've seen of the Copa Italia, etc.... but it works well with my configuration.

al

Guest rotorhead

Has anybody ever noticed that the left side hanger is longer than the right side??? My exhaust is lopsided by about an inch and I have noticed others are the same. :o

Is there a reason for this or is it just Italian engineering?????

Well, of course it is. Rapid application of the throttle causes the Guzzi to rotate towards the right commensurately stretching the left footpeg bracket which is lagging behind the rotational force of movement. Uh yeah, sure...

Has anybody ever noticed that the left side hanger is longer than the right side??? My exhaust is lopsided by about an inch  and I have noticed others are the same.  :o

Is there a reason for this or is it just Italian engineering?????

...aaaaaaaaactually, it's the right(as sitting on the bike) side hangar that is "longer" ^_^

For a while, I thought it was just the 2002+ bikes with the wider rear wheel that had the uneven pipes, but further investigation showed that for all the V11 Sport varieties from 2000+:

1) The right hangar is "kicked out" a few degrees more than the left to clear the bevel/swingarm(but hangs the pipe at the same height, so it is "longer" than the left ;) )

2) The swingarms on all years are the same width, just the rim got wider

3) The right OEM exhaust cannister further exacerbates the uneveness by using a different bracket than the left, that pushes it out even further.

If you stand behind any stock V11 Sport/LeMans, you will notice this uneveness... and for "anal" people like myself, it drives me bonkers :blink:

I've said from the start that I couldn't BELIEVE that as much as Italians are often berated for considering aesthetics above engineering, they let this slip by. As to my eyes, it's really quite obvious from the rear of the bike.

Now, that being said... is it a huge deal? Naw :rolleyes:

For instance, if one installs aftermarket exhausts, you will reduce the uneveness quite a bit since the OEM right exhaust bracket on the LaFranconi will now be gone, and the mouting points on the new exhausts will be equivalent.

So, this will often dramatically reduce the offset.

Other solutions, such as milling custom spacers for the exhaust mount work as well to even out the exhausts. This is what I did. You can see them in the photo above as a spool shaped piece of milled aluminum.

And of course, in line with the topic of this thread... simply swapping out to the MG Ti kit/Sport1100 brackets as pictured above, will *solve* the issue, as these are perfectly even since they sweep the pipes up a few more inches, thereby negating the need to "kick out" the right hangar to clear the bevel/swingarm.

If you don't need side bags, this is a great solution. And even if you do plan to tour occasionally, you can always put the longer OEM hangars back on to lower the pipes for the duration of the trip :thumbsup:

You can get some Sport1100 hangars for about $30 if you watch eBay, and the adapter plates are $50 from MGNA.

al

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dkgross

man, Al..I sure wish you lived closer by :)

My Ti Exhausts ride so high that the exhaust turns the bottom 1/3 of my turn signals black with soot...at first, they were so high that they melted the turn signal housing...Not sure what MotoI did to fix it, but it's still not right. I wonder if it's because of the Stucci X-over not being the righ angle...

but.they sure sound good ;)

Nice "candy" Al ;)

Your exhaust coating looks really Nice :thumbsup:

By the way i have found someone here in France that seems to do some beautifull coating but the prices are OUCHHHHHHH 3 or 4 * more than in the US :huh2:

Your wheels are polished ?

man, Al..I sure wish you lived closer by :)

My Ti Exhausts ride so high that the exhaust turns the bottom 1/3 of my turn signals black with soot...at first, they were so high that they melted the turn signal housing...Not sure what MotoI did to fix it, but it's still not right. I wonder if it's because of the Stucci X-over not being the righ angle...

but.they sure sound good ;)

Yeah, exhausts are pretty persnickety in regards alignment... just like any plumbing.

I had to tinker, twist, adjust, loosen, tighten... repeat... several times to get them correctly aligned this time around. I think the MG Ti cans may be shorter(and have slightly different mounting brackets) than the Leo Vinces I have, so that may also be why they are angled up more severely in your case?? Also keep in mind that the actual hangars can be installed a number of different ways with the adapter plates, and depending on how mounted will alter the height and angle of the pipes.

The adapters do not seem to be side specific, as I installed them on both sides to see which fit my pipes better in combination with the hangars. As noted earlier in the thread, I have my adapter plates mounted in reverse of how I've seen them mounted on official MG ads like the photo of the Copa on homepage. You can see this clearly by the positioning of my hangars versus the MG photos.

But, reversed or not, it seemed to work for me :huh2:

Zeb, I wonder why it's so hard to find affordable exhaust coaters in your area??

...and yep, the edges of the wheels are stripped/polished :sun: I did that last year when I accidentally buggered up the finish on the front rim when changing out the front forks <_>

:)

al

Ok Al,

i'm officially impressed, the upsweep of your pipes is way more aesthetically pleasing than stock. I'll have to go through the thread to figure out how to do this with my current setup. I don't have my Stucchi crossover on the bike yet (the weather has been too nice to take it in :) )so maybe i'll do it at the same time