ugly sight

Guest gooddog

Guest gooddog

just got back from a jaunt around the olympics. sweet riding, sweet camping, lots of glorious lonesone highway to burn down. anyway, there were quite a few flys to "swat" and a few stones( rocks, not guzzis) as well. i managed to catch a few of them,

149298438eZnmPm_ph.jpg

breaking the glass lense on my headlight. i'm not sure if my photo will post or not, but there is a two inch hole and the glass is severly cracked. it turns out that, for a 2002 lemans, Guzzi doen't offer the lense alone, only the whole assembly. the assembly will put the average lemans owner back 'round $250, yeouch! it turns out that the Cafe sport, Ballibio and breva have the same dimension(170mm) and type of lense(clear and smooth) as the 02,03 lemans. i'm not sure if it is a total match, for the numbers on the glass are different. Guzzi doesn't offer those lenses separate anyway. sooooo....anyone out there know where a guy can get a matching lense for less than $200. Round ducati headlights are similar to the V11 sports(180mm and beveled), in fact i haven't seen anyone else putting out a round 170mm light fixture.

ray

...too bad for sure, and unfortunately I don't have a source for you.

But I think it is a good idea to get some of that clear 3M protective film made for many headlights. I doubt anyone makes one just for the LeMans, but since it's just a round headlight, giving a dealer/manufacturer the diameter should be fine.

...or does someone indeed already sell some the correct size?

al

Guest IanJ

I was considering going down to the local plastics place and having a 1/4-3/8" thick plexiglass circle cut out, and fabricating some small aluminum "legs" to attach it to the four fairing screws that surround the headlight. I don't think it'd cost more than about $20-30, and it could be made quite sturdy. The only question in my mind is how strong those screws would be as attachment points.

Sorry gooddog, I don't have any theories on where you could get a replacement glass or bucket. You might check on Ebay, or check with cycle wreckers, like Independent Cycle in Spokane (do a quick Google search for their website).

I was considering going down to the local plastics place and having a 1/4-3/8" thick plexiglass circle cut out, and fabricating some small aluminum "legs" to attach it to the four fairing screws that surround the headlight. I don't think it'd cost more than about $20-30, and it could be made quite sturdy. The only question in my mind is how strong those screws would be as attachment points.

Sorry gooddog, I don't have any theories on where you could get a replacement glass or bucket. You might check on Ebay, or check with cycle wreckers, like Independent Cycle in Spokane (do a quick Google search for their website).

I'm sure the screws would do fine just holding a piece of plexi... but most of the folks that use plexi(such as GoldWing riders) on their headlights use some small squares of white/clear velcro on the lens itself.

al

Guest IanJ
but most of the folks that use plexi(such as GoldWing riders) on their headlights use some small squares of white/clear velcro on the lens itself.

Interesting idea. Part of my idea for using the alu legs would be to transfer any impact force away from the relatively fragile headlight glass. Velcro would certainly be easier and cheaper, but I would also worry about the glue heating up, and the possibility of just transferring the impact force of a rock straight to the headlight glass.

Guest robbrugg

My .02$ - I think the 3M film would protect just fine - a lot of my car buddies use stuff like that, and they love it. If you need to use plexiglass, what the hell are you riding through? Brick walls? Personally, I think it would look wanky, but I guess if you were to use it on occasion, cool. Another concern is beam distortion and stuff getting between the lens & plexiglass, obstructing light.

Robb

I think i heard mention somewhere of a BMW headlight being a match.

Contact Todd at MPH. There is a BMW replacement for one of the Guzzi models, I cant remember which one , anyway Todd posted it on the Wildguzzi site sometime back. If I remember right it was half of what Guzzi gets.

Surprise! Last time my V11 and H-D Shovel were side by side, they appeared to have identical headlight lenses, 8" Bosch units. I have a '82 FLH Electraglide with the old aluminum nacelle, making this Guzzi part nearly ubiquitous. It's worth a try, and aftermarket ought to be plentiful. As an electrical part, however, it's probably not returnable if the dealer's a stickler and the part doesn't fit. I'll have to try swapping them sometime.

Guest gooddog

the 180 mm headlight on the sports and nakeds is quite common. Bmw sell the lenses alone for that size. the lemans headlight is an odd 170mm(6.75").

the 180 mm headlight on the sports and nakeds is quite common. Bmw sell the lenses alone for that size. the lemans headlight is an odd 170mm(6.75").

...and only a smooth clear shield, as opposed to an actual lens on the V11 Naked(Sport) bikes :unsure:

It's too bad they used such an unusual piece of glass for the LeMans fairing.

al