Which mufflers to buy?

Guest motor72

Guest motor72

Can anyone recommend a set of slip ons for a 2003 Lemans that give a good deep barritone note as opposed to a raspy note? I've drilled the stock cans but it just doesn't do the trick. I'm leaning toward the aluminum Mistrals as the price is right

Thanks and ride safe.

Guest Natrix

I got the aluminum Mistrals and like them a lot. The note is definitely in the bass register and as you said the price is right. The performance is fine. See the picture on the blues ballabio topic in the v11 forum. :thumbsup:

Ditto: I agree completely with Mr. Natrix.

I picked up a set used that were adorned by the M-G mandated "For Off-Road Use Only" tags, shined them up, they sound great without being obnoxious & look real purdy.

And with the money I saved buying the aluminum pipes as opposed to the Ti's or Carbon's, I was able to squander the cash I saved on something else! :rolleyes: (See my post this am on Givi soft bags).

Phil

Atlanta GA

'02 Lemans

Guest Roadslayer

I went with Mistrals for two reasons. Price and availability. Yes,they're expensive at about $600U.S. but still a few hundred less than Ferraccis or the Guzzi brand hot rod pipes. Plus they were on the shelf at Moto I in Seattle,so they were on my porch in a couple of days. Unlike the Ferraccis which the manufacturer said might take weeks,months or even years to get. As for the sound they're not as earthshattering as my D&D equipped 916 but definetly similar As you've probably figured out a LeMans with stock pipes is no Lemans at all change over is well worth the effort in weight loss and effect. Also installation is a 15 minute job. Cheers Roadslayer.

Sheesh $600? You can get Ti Leo Vince's for around $800... I know that a $200 differential isn't small change, but $600 doesn't really sound "cheap" in comparison :huh2:

BTW, I am very impressed with Leo Vince quality, and the sound :thumbsup:

al

ya.. but $200 goes a long way towards a Stucchi... or PCIII... For me the question has been the Guzzi kit for $1000, or the sum of pipes, xover, and PCIII..about the same I guess, but more flexibility if you go plan B.

In the meantime I'll keep drilling the stock cans !! :D

cheers, Tim

I believe Agostinis in Mandello is one of the cheapest places to buy Mistrals.

Can't remember exactly how much mine were but they worked out less than £250 sterling.

www.agostiniduilio.com

:helmet:

Guest motor72

Thanks to all for the quick responses. I think I'll go with the aluminum Mistrals. Ride safe.

Before you spend your money do yourself a favour and find somebody with Ferraci pipes just to listen...

I am sure that you will have no doubt anymore which pipes to get.

The last timeI checked Ferraci had a sale and you could get these for 575. In any case this is what I paid.

Guest Rustleo

Epco stainless at www.epcostainless.com makes some. The best I have heard and bought have been the carbon made for Harpers by M4. I have had the Ferracci and the mistrals. My vote is the M4 Carbon at Harpers Moto Guzzi. Not cheap. They look like the ferracci and I believe that Ferracci's mufflers are probably made by M4, but the Harpers variety are a little bigger and more deep great sound. I dont know how the Epco sound but if they are of the same sound and quality as my BMW Epco mufflers they will be awsome. Just my opinion. rustleo

They look like the ferracci and I believe that Ferracci's mufflers are probably made by M4, but the Harpers variety are a little bigger and more deep great sound.

Thats right, Ferraci are made by M4 and are somewhat smaller. Which for me is a definite advantage since M4's as well as stock pipes are both too big for our bikes, especially in V11Sport Naked variety.

On LeMans they do not look so grossly oversized IMO.

Guest rotorhead

I bought the Staintunes some time ago for just under 6 bills....still look as good as new and sound off with a deep, throaty tone. Seems to me not to many people use these.....maybe the current price drives them away.....understandable.

Heres a resource: http://www.cbtimports.com/

I like stuff that shines, that you can polish. I have to say that Staintune has to have the nicest looking stuff anywhere. Spend some time polishing the rest of the exhaust and you've got a stainless system that flows visually, instead of having different looking components of the exhaust bolted together.

Ciao, Steve G.