new Guzzi leaking oil

Guest lintonsa

Guest lintonsa

I picked up my LeMans (04) on Tuesday evening and rode it for about 70 miles, parked it for the night. No problems. Came out to it the next morning noticed a small pool of oil on the ground. Maybe 20 drops total. Rode it immediately to the dealership. Steve at Renaissance Motorcycles in Tucson, AZ. said it looked as if the oil line that runs on the left side of the motor wasn't torqued properly. OK sounded reasonable.Bolt tightend and I was on my way. The following morning more oil on the ground but significantly less than the previous day. So, back to the dealership. This time the crush washers on either side of the banjo bolt were replaced problem appeared to be fixed, so I was on my way again. Two days went by before I rode it again. Went to the bike and saw about 6 drop spot on the ground, yes oil again. So, my questions are these: has anyone else experienced an oil leak from the oil line that runs on the left side of the motor? It is the line that begins right underneath the lip of the tank and runs down, not sure were it ends up. Also the oil collects on the exhaust manifold and will smoke after a long hot ride. If anyone has had this problem what was done to correct it? Is it possible that perhaps it is just an improperly assembled oil line ? BTW Renaissance is an awesome Guzzi dealer. I have no problem with them. I'd just like to get my bike to stop leaking oil.

Thanks All. Steve

If I'm reading your description correctly, this sounds like the oil crankcase vapor recovery circuit, which goes up into the spine, then return out of a fitting out of the frame on the left side.

Anyway, yes, this is a common area(s) to leak. Typically it is a problem with the fitting simply not being torqued down, and/or the crush washers not sealing for some reason.

By tightening it, and replacing the washers, it should have fixed the problem. But it could be that the line or mating surface has an issue.

It shouldn't be a major problem for the dealer to get right after a few tries, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if you have a good dealer as you indicate ^_^

al