Mistral Slip-Ons

Guest Apexlocator

Guest Apexlocator

Just installed the Mistrals. Very happy with the bike and have the age old question. I know this is an old story, but once again......Does it harm the bike in any way to have "more" exhaust gas leaving the engine than stock and no other mods done to take advantage of this?

I will most likely end up with the airbox mod and power commander, but, for the next thousand miles or so, will I do any damage to the engine? I am a little paranoid. (maybe a lot)

It'll be fine, but it might run a bit poorly. If anything, it will run a bit more lean now. Might backfire on deceleration. Keep an eye on the headers, and check your plugs after 25-50miles. If they indicate running too lean, then you can take steps to correct.

I've run Mistrals with the stock ECU for the past 25,000 miles or so. My dealer just tweaked the stock ECU mixture settings so the mid-range doesn't run too lean. No problems encountered, spark plugs correct colour, bike runs fine with no pops or bangs.

I'm with Chris^ . . . 30,000 miles with Mistrals and K&N filter. Just be sure TPS is set and the throttle bodies balanced well. The stock map appears to flow plenty of fuel to color the plugs and keep a nice dark deposit on the exit of the pipes.

Before tweaking my TPS the header pipes were turning blue. Now they have a deep bronze color and the same for both sides. :thumbsup: