V11 Sport - Handling with Risers vs Clip-ons

wildbill

I have a '00 V11 Sport, love the bike and when I bought it the original owner had removed the stock clip-ons and the installed the MPH risers. The riding position is OK, but the bike feels a little "squirrely" up front in long sweepers... now i know the early V11s have quicker steering than the later V11s/LeMans, but do you think some of what I perceive is due to the reduced weight up front because I'm sitting further back? In other words, was the V11 Sport designed to have more rider weight on the bars, and the risers are impacting the handling?

I still have the stock clip-ons, but if I go back to the clip-ons do you think it's worth it to buy adjustables like the Two Brothers items that were discussed in another thread?

Thanks for your input.... :bier:

do you think some of what I perceive is due to the reduced weight up front because I'm sitting further back

Yes.

Also wind catches more upright body & h/bars have mor leverage = input to steering feel.

I'll take counter-point. Not necessarily, though it depends on how much you've unloaded the front end. The front end is pretty heavy all the time just due to the motor. My first suspicions would be tires and fork adjustments. I've got a set of bars on my '01 sport so I'm also a bit more upright and it's solid like a rock through corners.

Of course, the other variable is how hard you push it. I can't say I'm pushing mine to the limit, but I lean enough to scrape my boots occasionally (not enough to grind the sidestand or pegs).

Yet another variable is the width of the bar- with handlebars, it's pretty wide- I use a lot of countersteer in corners.

Oh- one other thing- loosen up your steering damper all the way.

cheers,

Jason

Guest rotorhead

Say Wildbill, if you decide to put the clipons back on and want to sell the bars lemme know....I am in need of a set.

The V11's are tail heavy, and need more weight to plant the front tire. They do push as you know. Over 100mph this becomes obvious with the head shake on long sweepers, but like other bikes out there with the same trait, just grit your teeth, and make it go where you want. Don't be intimidated, if you click the damper a couple, it won't head shake to the point of losing grip of the handgrips. Ride this bike long enougfh and you will adapt perfectly.

The Lemans is a much more civilized set up with the added weight of the fairing, better forks, and slightly raked triple tree.

Ciao, Steve G.