Checking Oil Level

joe camarda

What is the correct way to check the oil level on my 01 V11 Sport?

Should the bike be upright? On the paddock stand? Or on the side stand?

Should the dipstick be screwed all the way in, or resting on the "lip" to obtain the measurement?

The owners manual says the the dipstick should be screwed all the way "up", so what does that mean....if its "up" then its out!

Anyway, this is kinda embarassing :unsure: cause it should be so simple!

TIA, for answers. Joe :rasta:

Guest Brian Robson

There have been several threads on this......the oil should be checked with the bike upright, with the dipstick fully screwed in and check it warm ie 15 minutes after a ride.

Get ready to be frustrated about the factory dipstick Joe. It is tough to check with those ridges [in an effort to firm up the flimzy plastic] along it's length. I gave up on the thing, getting a metal one that you just push down into a socket and pull out to read the level, none of this spinning the thing around where it skews the actual reading. It does however still neeed to be checked with the bike standing level.

I won't bore everyone about the procedure to get this quick pull dip stick.

Ciao, Steve G.

Someone also posted a great suggestion for the OEM plastic dipstick, and that is to drill a couple/three holes in the stick, for the high, low leve marks, and maybe somewhere in the middle.... and it will be much easier to see the oil level.

This is actually what Honda has done with the transmission dipstick on my new Pilot, and it makes it much easier to see the level :thumbsup:

al

I got my level right at the last oil change (with bike on level), then lightly notched the dipstick for a full mark when on side stand...for those times when I'm sitting on the driveway messing with it and too lazy to stand-up. k

Guest Tmartin

Here is an easier way to check your oil level.

1. Drain oil and change filter.

2. Measure and refill with the exact amount of oil. (I forget--3.2 qts?? see your manual)

3. Start the engine and run for a few minutes.

4. With the bike on the side stand, and the dip stick screwed in all the way, the oil level will be above the "full" mark on the dip stick.

5. Scribe a line where the oil level is. (I scribed the line all around the ridges on the dip stick) Now you can check the oil with the bike on the side stand (holding it upright and checking is a pain in the ass). I find that there is not enough difference between oil levels on a hot vs. cold engine--unless your one of thoese guys that changes your oil every 2000 miles.