TPS Setting Trial

Guest Bruce

Guest Bruce

My paapy said son you're going to drive me to drinkin'

If you don't stop driving that

Hot

Rod

Lincoln

I was singing that all day after giving my bike a thourgh tune up and advancing the TPS. Lucky I didn't get a ticket the way I was riding but I couldn't keep my hand off the throttle.

Re-torqued the heads, adjusted the valves ( world ), plugs, Mobil 1, balanced the FI, and changed the TPS. I did things 1 at a time to see if I noticed a difference.

First off, the bike ran ok before except it was pretty doggy between 3300 and 4000 rpm. It seemed reasonably quick above 6k. There was a definite difference after setting the valves ( too loose before ) and changing the plugs. A bit smoother above 3300. Didn't notice the oil per se. The balance was a fair amount off and definetly made a difference. The setting on the TBS was at .45 V.

First I went to .62 V and definelty noticed a difference! Before the bike just felt too lean and would ping alot under hard acceleration. Actually I was quite concerned about it as it happened all the time; cool weather, warm weather. Not a good thing.

This was much better. The dreaded 3.3-4k zone now feels much better and I find I am often in this range, there is still more vibration here than else where but you have to look for it to notice. The idle increased about 250rpm. At 5k its very smooth and spools up faster. The mirrors are actually clear at 5500 rpm. It feels beautiful!

So I went to .73 V and didn't notice much difference. Also, the plugs look a chocolate color so I am thinking its either too rich or the plugs are too cold.

Next step I try the next warmer plug mostly because it is cheap and easy, but its probably a bit rich.

So over all I am a happy boy as the ridability is much improved. You can feel that an accelerator pump would be the hot set up and I understand that the PC III has this function. I'm not exactly sure what the dealer means by "we went over it" but it was obvious most of these settings have never been touched.

Setting the TBS higher than spec doesn't deliver more fuel over all just more fuel earlier. The milage may well be worse but I certainly don't care given the improvement. It feels like a new bike.

If you're going to play with the TPS do yourself a favor and replace the cheesy tamer proof bolts with allen heads. Much easier to deal with.