500 miles on a V11 LeMans

Guest Apexlocator

Guest Apexlocator

I just bought a LeMans V11 and wanted to take a 1000 mile trip in two days. Mostly interstate, a day to rest and two days back. I know my seat gets hard in a couple of hours of riding. Padded bicycle shorts should help, but I wonder if the LeMans is simply not the bike to do this on.

Any comments would be appreciated. I don't want to end up sorry. The last time I rode 1000 miles in two days I had a Ducati ST4 and it did just fine. I am not sure about this 'Guzzi though.

Thanks,

Frank

Guest Bob in CT

:bike: No problem. I've been to N.C from CT that was 700+ in one day. We left on Sat. morn. got home Mon. night with a total of 1650 miles. A great ride. Also went up to Mt. Washington and back in one day 625 miles mostly back roads up and highway back. Stop every 130 to 150 miles for gas and you'll be happy.

Enjoy

Bob

Frank, I've been doing 200-250 a day on Sat/Sun stopping every hour to hour and a half. Seems to be okay, although seat just didn't fit...too much pressure on back of upper thigh. I just shipped it yesterday to Rich Maund for a rebuild. I've also ordered rubber covered foot pegs to overcome "sleepy foot." More to follow when I get all these pieces back in place. I plan to increase mileage to make some of the functions. :luigi: k

Frank,

Several Cali-mounted friends and I rode out to SW Missouri in early May. I took the Ballabio, in part to see how it was for longer trips than my usual day trips to the n. Ga. mountains.

As you know, it has less protection than your LeMans -- actually, none, as the flyscreen smooths the air a bit but keeps nothing off of you, especially with the higher seating position.

Anyway, riding comfort, and, it seems, especially saddle endurance, is subjective. From my perspective, the Ballabio was, with one, likely irrelevant, exception, as comfortable over that distance (c. 800+/- miles) as my EV would have been. The "irrelevant" point is that have since learned that I have (and had then) a torn meniscus in my left knee, so the leg position made all-day riding a bit problematic. For weighing my credibility, however, I have to add that I am one of the few who thinks the 98 EV stock seat is just fine. :rolleyes:

Footpeg buzz can be, as noted above, an issue, but that was more a function of cheap & hard-soled Tecnik boots; not an issue with better ones.

Anyway, others here with leMans such as yours may have more useful info, but I would do it again (tho I'd carry an extra spring and Belfastguzzi's repair instructions!). The Ballabio was a great joy in the Ozarks, and I would think your LeMans would serve you well.

Bill

I drove my V11 sport down the same MO rally as Bill (thanks for the Grappa). Bicycle shorts are nice- much as I hate to say it, a sheepskin seatcover is fabulous. I wear an aerostich, so I tend to slide around on the seat a lot (synthetic fabrics...shoulda bought dino fabrics :D ) Anyhow, the sheepskin keeps you planted pretty well and is cool in all the places you really want to be cool.

I'm fixin' to drive the V11 from IA to ME; I don't forsee any real problems there either- on the way out, I'm planning two 700 mile days. Things you do need to take into account- make sure your arms are in decent shape, your abs are decent, and you take some ibuprofen. At least I have ibuprofen.

Cheers,

Jason

I've been doing weekly jaunts on Sundays that amount to 250 miles in a morning, about 2 full gas tankfulls plus a little in the space of about 3- 3 1/2 hours. I've got the bar risers from MPH cycles and a custom Rich Maund seat, and the only thing that's even approached ache level was my left shoulder blade, which I think is common only to me and not attributable to the bikes ergos. I heartily recommend both comfort upgrades. I've also got the Evoluzione peg relocator kit that I'll try soon, can't seem to loosen the peg hanger allen key bolts and I'm afraid to strip them........I'll let the shop do it when I send it in for the next service (I'll have someone to blame then when they do it......)

What I'm saying (very poorly) is that the bike has worked out much more comfortably than I had imagined when I bought it, I can see myself making 500+ mile day trips without much problem. Like the guys say, about a tankful is what you can easily enjoy without a break..........but the way some of these guys ride on this forum, that could well be under an hour of saddle time at once!! :-)

Dan

I just bought a LeMans V11 and wanted to take a 1000 mile trip in two days. Mostly interstate, a day to rest and two days back. I know my seat gets hard in a couple of hours of riding. Padded bicycle shorts should help, but I wonder if the LeMans is simply not the bike to do this on.

Any comments would be appreciated. I don't want to end up sorry. The last time I rode 1000 miles in two days I had a Ducati ST4 and it did just fine. I am not sure about this 'Guzzi though.

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Mr. Apex,

I did a 500 miles (800km) trip in one day on my Scura and beside piss poor weather conditions (heavy rain and gail winds) and a broken transmission spring, which left the bike in fourth gear for approx. 200 miles, everything went fine <_>

I wasn't knackered by any means so on yer bike mate! :bike:

Have a nice 'un

Søren Tikkanen, Denmark

3000 miles in 8 days and every volcano on the west coast of the USA except Mt. Hood. No fairing, just an Air Hawk seat cushion. Longest single ride was only 600 miles.

Guest Apexlocator

Thanks for all the feedback. I am into doing it now. First I am having my regional dealer Fast by Ferracci (three hours away) do dyno tuning and power commander/air box work to go with my Mistral pipes which I just put on. Then, oh boy......should blast down the highway!

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
Guest Roadslayer

Whats with this "I was having fun until my transmition spring broke. I mean what the farkel? Jesus, I mean am I suppossed to buy a new bike that should last 100'000 miles and never change the plugs. And this happens?

I I'll give it two more times and if my tranny spring breaks two more times I'll buy another cheap "Chinese" bike to ride Mexico. Roadslayer See "My 02 LeMans"

Whats with this "I was having fun until my transmition spring broke. I mean what the farkel? Jesus, I mean am I suppossed to buy a new bike that should last 100'000 miles and never change the plugs. And this happens?

I I'll give it two more times and if my tranny spring breaks two more times I'll buy another cheap "Chinese" bike to ride Mexico. Roadslayer See "My 02 LeMans"

After my spring went south with only 7,000 miles on it I committed to carrying a spare spring and a Karma bell. I expect that spring (the installed replacement) to last at least 100,000 miles (8 more years).

400 miles is the longest day for me so far. The seat was no problem. It was my arms that were killing me although I should blame the high windshield for that.

• 1 month later...

"If you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Just go! Even if it rains the whole trip, a crow expires on your face shield, you run out of gas, and get chased by a roadside rattlesnake while pushing your bike, you won't be sorry you made the trip.

The more difficult it is, the more memorable, enriching and horizon-expanding it will be! Do you think Sir Shackleton is sorry he tried unsuccessfully to get to the South Pole? Do you think Christopher Columbus is sorry he discovered the country that would later bear his name (referring of course to Columbia) ?

Any dipstick with a Goldwing and a job at Taco Bell can ride 1,000 miles in 24 hours. But what is impressive anymore is precision with a boxing glove or imprecise abstraction with a fine-point pen. It's the challenge more than the quantitative numbers! Go and do it, and tell us a fantastic story afterward!

Now that I've said all that, I don't yet own a Guzzi. But am a wannabe pretender on a cushy Jap bike: http://www.chrisandlisachan.com/philly04.htm

Adventure is 5% preparation and 80% "fuggit-let's-go!"

-Calamari Chris in Carlsbad, CA