Hard starting Le Mans

Guest jerroldt

Guest rrbasso

I had alot of starting issues.So at the first service i found from the facktory there was too much slack in the enrichner after adjusting i have had butifoul start ups. :helmet:

I do much the same as Al, cycling the kill switch to be sure I have fuel through the system, however, I try to minimize any high revs at cold start. There are days, though, where it just wants to be cranky---that is so darn sexy and Italian :helmet: ---or maybe its the humidity? k

I have an '03 -- tried doing the cycle the kill switch 4,5,6 x with not hearing that gurgling sound (I do hear the fuel pump sound), when I press the start, takes 4-5 x before starting! When I turn on the key, give it 1/2 throttle, hit the start, it starts -- not like any of my other bikes (instantly) but after turning over 2-3 x, it fires up nicely.

:o oh yeh, from davidb-- sounds like a good idea-- I will tear out my canister and emission hose lines, etc., whenever I can get this bike registered! I bet by doing that it'll start easier. :(

Guest squiddysquid

It only took me 6 months to realize that the "enrichener"/fast idle thingy wasn't doing anything. It wasn't moving the throttle at all...the cable still had the yellow gook on it so this was the factory setting. Just a placebo I guess. :doh:

It only took me 6 months to realize that the "enrichener"/fast idle thingy wasn't doing anything. It wasn't moving the throttle at all...the cable still had the yellow gook on it so this was the factory setting. Just a placebo I guess. :doh:

... was it broken?

The enricher just moves the throttle, about 1/4 open....

Mine works fine, although I rarely use/need it.

al

Guest jerroldt

After several days of using the 1/2--3/8 throttle opening when starting my Le Mans, my problems are gone. It may have taken me a long time to stumble onto this method. Another good reason for belonging to this forum. Networking works!

Guest squiddysquid

Just too much slack on the cable, Al...I wondered why it didn't seem to do much. I just thought it was some complicated electronic thingy. I'll quit thinking so much now...it doesn't seem to be my strong point.

Well , you shamed me into it. Today I adjusted the high-idle mechanism so it actually props the throttle rod a bit. Remember , it's not just the cable but you must rotate the stop against the cam. I would have never found the adjustment if they hadn't painted it yellow. :rolleyes:

Worth mentioning: for better starting, roll your bike out and let it sit in the ambient air for some minutes to let the sensors begin to adapt. Unless you live in sunny California-where-the-girls-never-burn-ya, your garage is not likey the same temperature as it is outside. Give the bike time to acclimate. Second, try flicking on the run switch and just leaving the ECU to read the sensors for 4 or 5 seconds before attempting to start.

Sage advice Doc :thumbsup:

.....even though I am a youngster, I've found in my youthful wisdom that just taking a bit of time and patience goes a long way toward avoiding frustration in many things.

I do the same with the bike.... roll it out, give it a minute.... turn it on, turn it off, turn it on, repeat maybe once more... let it sit.... hit the starter, and usually it's happy :D

After all, what's the hurry ^_^

al