oil leak above the crossover :(

robbiekb

I just discovered that my V11 is leaking oil above the crossover, I hadn't noticed it before because I don't havea shop stand and until i got the new garage i hadn't been down low enough to spot where the leak was being caught by the crossover.

Funnily enough it hasn't been pooling on to the floor. My guess is that it has been burning off while i've been riding and that it's probably just started to leak. Now that i think of it, I can remember a buring smell form the last time i rode home from work but i though it was a combinatio of my brakes, melted road smell :) and the car in front running too rich.

Anyone had issues with the V11 leaking here ?

Other than that the bike is running really well. It's due to go into Moto International in the next few days for an oil change, FBF high compression pistons, stucchi crossover, set of floating disks (my Brembo's warped on day 1 of ownership and grab liek crazy) and some exhaust high mounts. Hopefully the leak isn't too serious and can be taken care of at the same time.

Robbie

i feel a little bit guilty because over the last few weeks i've been riding the bike kinda hard.

As an aside, I've found power wheelies to be possible but difficult with the default ergo's of the V11 because so much of the weight is forwards over the front wheel. I've noticed that by the time you get the front wheel lofted under power in first, the bike is already about to hit the rev limiter, at which point i'm not fast enough to upshift to second and the front wheel drops again.

I've seen a bunch of pics of people dong it (the scura pic springs to mind) , so it's really just me being inept :) and of course it's strictly for track use only :)

i still feel kidna guilty for running around at such high rpms for so long though :(

Guest bshpilot

sounds like a simular leak that i had...turned out that it was comin'

outta the foot/shifter input shafts/seal....when i dropped it of

for warrenty...they discovered that the trannie was VERY overfilled....

the apparently drained some of the trannie oil & its been fine since

<felt like a real dolt that i never checked to see what the level

was suposed to be....i just saw it in the fluid in the glass & thought

it was fine...>

shop told me this isnt the 1st one theyve seen over filled from

the factory....they told me not to feel stupid....and just be glad

it has some in it ;)

Thanks ofr the advice guys ! i'm dropping the bike off today for service. Hey Carl, I got your mail, sorry i haven't replied yet, i'm backed up on my email right now as my project at work is about to hit a major milestone so i've been crunching (yet still i apparently find time to post on the v11 board..ah well thats my guilty pleasure in life)

Guest bshpilot

according to my local dealer/mechanic the leakage from the shifter input

shaft seal is a fairly common problem...once he mentioned this (after i had

cleaned the oil off) i too noticed there was oil 'pooled' right near the

seal in question...but i still hadnt put it together that the trannie could

have been overfilled.