How many high milage bikes are out there?

Art

Wandering about the site like a rookie I've noticed a few high mileage bikes. Be interesting to know how many.

Would be even better to know how many miles before a top end rebuild, full rebuild, clutch. etc.

If anyone's keeping track, just point the way.

Thanks

• Like 3

After this last valve adjustment (no changes to the lash), I did have to cave in and replace the right side, original valve cover gasket. :oldgit:

I suppose I should go ahead and do the left side  . . .

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Seriously, other than Relays, Battery, and Tune-up: the three most neglected areas on V11:

> Rear drive: far right side needle cage.

> Sidestand fasteners, both, but especially the high torque large bolt.

> Charging system failure (ungrounded regulator, melting 30 amp fuse, broken stator wires).

• Like 7

Oh, well, yes . . . there is the matter of greasing the front U-joint. Especially on the the early RedFrame Sports . . .

So much of this is in the Tank Off Maintenance Checklist and Wheels off Maintenance Checklist

As to major mechanical rebuilds, that hasn't turned out to be of the most concern, as far as I have seen.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, docc said:

Seriously, other than Relays, Battery, and Tune-up: the three most neglected areas on V11:

> Charging system failure (ungrounded regulator, melting 30 amp fuse, broken stator wires).

Also the parts that might look ok now, but should at least be in your bin of "parts that I may need soon":

> Crankcase Vent hose from bell housing to the top of the spine

> Hose couplings between the throttle bodies & the intake spigots

> TPS Sensor

> Phase/Crank position sensor

> Oil pressure Switch

> The improved gearbox shifter return spring

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, docc said:

Putting "Rear drive: far right side needle cage.: on my list now.  Thanks docc for the reminder. :luigi:

I just did brake fluid flush on my '02 clutch/brakes.  The '03 is now saying "Hey, what about me!"

• Like 4

My history in electronics repair leads me to believe that sensors, or any electrical components last longer with good electrical connections.

Intermittent connections cause voltage spikes and current surges. I'll be unplugging connectors and shooting in some cleaner.

Worth noting that my experience goes back to the days of LUCAS wiring and warm beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Great thread, our list of items of which to focus for long lasting miles of riding. Thankfully, I do love to tinker!

• Like 5