Sport-i Oberon fuel fill cap

Pressureangle

I was going to put this in the 'what did you do today' forum but it's better here I think. So I started the painful process of de-watering my fuel system. Again. 
My fuel cap has had a bad gasket for some time, and although I cleaned them I thought recently, my vent/drain are plugged. Again. I rolled the dice on ordering an Oberon fuel filler, Aprilia Fuel Cap FUE-7040 is a perfect fit. 
The first at-hand was to fix the vents, and since they're coiled up like snakes inside the tank there's no wire to run through them. I used a small syringe to get some Ospho into them for a couple minutes, then blew it through with air. Rinse and repeat 3 or 4 times. Same with under the fuel cap, which I'd tried to seal up with tank sealer; it didn't adhere well and peeled out easily. So to the steel wool. After the vents and fuel entry were clean and dry, I shot some Cosmoline into the vents and blew that through a few times as well, and spread it around the bare metal on the top. The Oberon cap was a simple 3 screw replacement save shaving a tiny bit off the vent protrusion with a jeweler's file. 

The Oberon cap fits close in the tank opening, with no space for the rubber gasket used by the stock setup- but the stock setup was crap so I don't think it will be a problem. Between this and the fuel valve both again, I'll make both the fuel filler/tank top and the fuel valve at least yearly maintenance items. I'll add a photo or two of the fuel valve to an existing thread. 

0611231902.jpg

0611231901-HDR.jpg

0611231903.jpg

0611231910.jpg

0611231920.jpg

0611231920a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2