Bevel box

Yam350

Quick question…….with everything tightened up should there be any movement on the bevel box? There is no bearing play in the rear wheel just the bevel box.

57 minutes ago, Yam350 said:

should there be any movement on the bevel box?

No.

It sounds like a spacer is missing. Maybe the short one that drops out when you remove the back wheel. 

Or possibly a collapsed needle roller bearing in the RH outboard side of the bevel box. The inner race of that bearing is also one of the several spacers along the axle.

• Like 2

Just exploring this a bit further. Have you checked the drive shaft trunnions are aligned?

Also what movement? Where? Side to side at the wheel? Fore and aft? How is the bevelbox moving? Or what is moving in relation to it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As far as I can tell the driveshaft is all in line. I’ve taken it apart this morning and found that the r/h side wheel bearing has play (although there was no movement that I could feel in the wheel) and also the needle roller bearing and sleeve on the r/h side of the bevel box are completely worn out. This was allowing the box to have play on the spindle. The needles were rusty and the sleeve was very loose. I’ve ordered replacements and after a fight I’ve removed the old one. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

For anyone else who needs to remove that bearing if you have an 'Old School' Guzzi shop nearby that has the bearing pullers for the old five speed gearbox the one for the internal needle rollers in that box works admirably for the bevelbox needle bearing on the V11 box.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I welded a short length of bar onto the bearing which allowed me to drift it out from the other side. Not very elegant but did the job!

• Like 1

Yes Pete, the washer was there. The bearing and sleeve were completely shot though which would have allowed the movement. I’ve got replacements plus new wheel bearings coming today hopefully.

6 hours ago, pete roper said:

Was there a large washer outboard of the bearing? There should have been. If there wasn't that would of been a contributory factor as well.

When i bought my Lemans (in 2015, used) I removed the rear wheel to perfom a bunch of routine maintenance stuff like clutch fluid replacement, inspect & lube drive shaft & drive splines, ujoints, wheel bearings, etc.  Well, much to my surprise, I found that large washer inside of the gearbox drive splines.  Although the washer only allowed about half spline engagement, no damage occurred to either gearbox or wheel drive splines.  I suspect that whomever did the rear tire change had no Idea where the large washer went so they tucked it in between the wheel & gearbox even though the i.d of the washer was drastically larger than the o.d of the axle.  Yeah, I'm glad I took time to do the needful, it would have made me sick if the drive splines on either the wheel or gearbox had been damaged.

• Like 1

Well it’s all back together now and the play in the bevel box is gone. I wish id read about greasing the shaft splines before trying to get it together 🤬

Many thanks for the tips and advice though….always appreciated. 

• Like 6