anyone using Staintune mufflers?

Guest aj howard

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SDKFZ111

Good evening chaps!I think the Staintune muffler is one of the best looking replacement mufflers on the market and very well made as well,I have had them fitted for about a month now.I have only run the 03 V11 with the baffles in as I bought the pipes for their looks and weight saving (about half as light as the stock pipes) not so much for any increase in noise. All though I must say they do sound better with the baffles removed. The left hand pipe went on in about 5 mins whereas the right pipe required a bit of cutting and the use of a file.I think they look much better the standard pipes which are rather long & match better with the standard collecter box & header pipes, which I am now buffing up to a nice shine with chrome cleaner.I thought at first that the bike was running a bit on the lean side but after a recent 150 mile ride to our V11 meet (UK) the mixture seems to be about right.I took the old girl up to about 100mph (whilst chasing after one of those bike engined kit cars)without any hesitation or flatspots. I notice that the label on the ecu has slightly different wording from the 02 ecu, perhaps a slightly different map for the latest cat equipped bikes which one would imagine are set pretty lean to meet the latest emission laws in Europe ?

Guest rotorhead

The current exchange rate is approximately AU$1.00 = 69 US cents.

No wonder there so expensive now!!

Another happy Staintune rider. I've had mine about six months. Seem to be well made, good looks, nice sound, generally pretty happy with them. My only negative is that they are a bit pricey, it least in the US.

Lex

The AU$ was close to US 80 cents a few months ago. It's dropped back down to around 70 cents.

If you guys get a new batch in, the price 'should' drop - but don't hold your breath!

Cheers

• 4 months later...
Guest WildJackal

A few questions:

I've heard many cans described as being completely hollow/empty (why do they cost so damn much?). Are the Staintunes empty with the baffles removed or still somewhat baffled?

How is the noise w/o baffles? Since these can be baffled I would like them to be LOUD w/o the baffles.

Is the construction sturdy? I like sturdy. I will pay a weight penalty to get something that lasts.

How do these rate versus the other Guzzi cans on performance?

Thanks

WildJackal,

The baffles are simply outlet restrictors - they are very short and simply reduce the size of the muffler's outlet pipe. These mufflers are not empty. When you look in through the outlet you see a perforated tube - presumably with ss wool wrapped around it (and maybe some other structure as well). They are also much lighter than the Lafranconis.

The sound is great with or without baffles, but better without. I would say that without baffles they are loud, but not offensive.

I also like sturdy - these are definitely well-made. Worth the price. Especially when you consider what everyone else is asking for a set of rivetted cans that certainly won't last nearly as long as a set of Staintunes - it's a totally different league.

You won't regret buying them!

Note: I had to cut/file a small portion of the left mounting tab because it was interfering with the footpeg portion of the footpeg/muffler hanger. I think someone else mentions doing this, but they had to do the same to the RHS mounting tab.

ChrisB.

Is anybody running Staintunes with a Stucchi crossover?

Staintune are manufacturing a crossover for touring /cruiser MG's but not the sports, they reckon a significant power increase is available with their mufflers & the crossover & a minor increase with the mufflers alone. I like the Staintunes but if I'm gonna spend that sorta dough I want more grunt as well.....hence the original question, how do they go with a Stucchi???

Thanks

Miles

Hi,

Looking at exhaust options and I really like the look of the Staintunes, I am thinking of also getting the pipes Jethot coated and thought it would be a nice look.

How loud are the Staintunes? Would you buy them again? How much should I pay for them??

27948[/snapback]

I have Staintunes on my Rosso Corso. They took a bit of tweaking to fit. Also the guard for the passenger's feet has a razor edge on it, and will slice you when you wash the bike if you don't watch it.

They sound great. I put the Stucchi cross over on because FBF had an unknown waiting period to deliver--which they only told me about after I waited 4 weeks for delivery. Since I also put holes in the airbox and have the Power Commander, I am unsure of the the contribution of each to the bike, but that motor is one of the great joys of my life. The varying finishes on the headers, cross over, and cans look a bit odd, but the Rosso Corso is so busy with black, red and polished surfaces that it seems to fit in.

I put Staintunes on my 1100 sport after the Bubs had cracked for the 4th time. The Bubs sounded like a hot rod tractor. The Staintunes for the 1100 were a complete system. I think Staintune makes cans only for the new bikes because the stock headers are good quality.

So all in all, I am happy with the product.

I'm using about the same set-up as Daniel Cooper and am also happy. With the touring restrictors in place the Staintunes are a bit louder than stock but based on my somewhat subjective head turn/ dirty look index do not seem to bother people as I pass. I would compare the sound to a stock bike from the Seventies, nice and throaty but not too loud. Combined with the relived air box the net result is very pleasing to my ear. With the touring baffles removed and the pipes "open" the bike sounds even better but is a good deal louder, more like the average after market cans.

I will disagree with Daniel on one point, my mufflers are also less than perfectly aligned but I think the problem is the Stucchi crossover, not the Staintunes. Things seem to line up pretty well when I held the stock crossover in place but not with the Stucchi. I didn't actually install the stock crossover so I could be wrong.

I agree about the color of the mufflers. One difference is that my headers and the Stucchi are now pretty close in color, the polished finish of the mufflers is a strong contract to the gold color of the rest of the exhaust. The lead in pipe of the mufflers has taken on a slightly yellow cast so the difference is not as marked as it once was. I'm hoping this will continue with more use. Given that the mufflers run a good deal hotter with the touring baffles in place riders who do not use the restrictors may not see this coloring.

I'm a happy customer, I would buy the Staintunes again. I didn't want a cobby, short lived, race bike looking product. The Staintunes look like factory parts and seem to be built to last a long time. :thumbsup:

As a tip for people who change parts in a stainless steel exhaust system I've found Blue Magic metal polish (I'm sure other brands would work but I don't know what brands) does a nice job of removing the yellow/ gold/ blue color. Give the old parts a good polishing and the color difference is not noticeable. With use the color tends to start dark at the exhaust ports and fades as the gases cool moving down the pipes. Personally, I really like that effect.

Lex

I too was looking at Staintunes when I came across the Neptune line. They too are from down under, and I liked the varity of finishes over the staintume. Fit and finish was spot on. Straight through with removable inserts too. Very happy with mine. Nice sound, pinging is gone and mid-range has improved w/o a PC. Aces for me.. :race:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...296entry33296

I too was looking at Staintunes when I came across the Neptune line.  They too are from down under, and I liked the varity of finishes over the staintume.  Fit and finish was spot on.  Straight through with removable inserts too.  Very happy with mine.  Nice sound, pinging is gone and mid-range has improved w/o a PC.  Aces for me.. :race:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...296entry33296

37322[/snapback]

edge,

Very nice. Staintune has had the market niche to itself for too long. The fact they are made by Kiwis makes it even better, as much as I like Australians and Australia you gotta' love their feisty neighbors across the Tasman Sea. However, I do wonder how those little bitty birds can run welders and metal forming equipment. :P

If I didn't have my Staintunes already I'd defiantly be looking at this option. As I have said, I am very happy with my mufflers but the satin finish on these cans would solve just about my only objection to the Staintunes.

Lex

Geez Lex, that magnificent polished stainless is what sets Staintune apart from everyone else. You bought these and you don't like gloss polish stainless? :huh: I think it is a cop out to use brushed, or satin finish on stainless.

I agree that Neptune is nice stuff, and frankly don't much care if it is made in New Zealand or Australia. Both rate high. As for price, if you've ever tried to hand or buff machine polish that much stainless, you can understand the cost of a polished system.

Ciao, Steve G.