anyone using Staintune mufflers?

Guest aj howard

Steve,

I like the finish but it just doesn't seem to fit the bike. The V11 is an odd duck (or goose) not quite retro (polished megaphones would look great on a retro bike) but defiantly not modern either. For whatever reason, to my eye the polished finish doesn't quite fit. It just goes to show you that this is subjective.

My bike is up at Monroe Motors getting the transmission recall done. When I get it back it will be just before the four day Thanksgiving weekend. I'm going to take another pass at polishing the crossover and headers pipes over the long weekend. Next summer I'll get a change to run the bike hard out in the dessert. If the mufflers get a little more color and the pipes are a little lighter and a little shinier it might all work for me, who knows. For now they do not flow visually, at least to my eyes.

As far as appreciating the work, I have some idea of how hard it must be. I've done a little polishing but I've never gotten stainless to looks nearly as good as the finish on the Staintunes.

The New Zealand thing is personal, I have a very strong attachment to New Zealand and Kiwis. I've done a fair amount of traveling, I have positve memories about just about everyplace I've been, even New Jersey (;-) but New Zealand holds a special place for me. New Zealand and New Zelanders remind a lot of what California and Californians were like before the moron contingent moved is and ruined everything.

Lex

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm using about the same set-up as Daniel Cooper and am also happy. With the touring restrictors in place the Staintunes are a bit louder than stock but based on my somewhat subjective head turn/ dirty look index do not seem to bother people as I pass. I would compare the sound to a stock bike from the Seventies, nice and throaty but not too loud. Combined with the relived air box the net result is very pleasing to my ear. With the touring baffles removed and the pipes "open" the bike sounds even better but is a good deal louder, more like the average after market cans.

I will disagree with Daniel on one point, my mufflers are also less than perfectly aligned but I think the problem is the Stucchi crossover, not the Staintunes. Things seem to line up pretty well when I held the stock crossover in place but not with the Stucchi. I didn't actually install the stock crossover so I could be wrong.

I agree about the color of the mufflers. One difference is that my headers and the Stucchi are now pretty close in color, the polished finish of the mufflers is a strong contract to the gold color of the rest of the exhaust. The lead in pipe of the mufflers has taken on a slightly yellow cast so the difference is not as marked as it once was. I'm hoping this will continue with more use. Given that the mufflers run a good deal hotter with the touring baffles in place riders who do not use the restrictors may not see this coloring. 

I'm a happy customer, I would buy the Staintunes again. I didn't want a cobby, short lived, race bike looking product. The Staintunes look like factory parts and seem to be built to last a long time. :thumbsup:

As a tip for people who change parts in a stainless steel exhaust system I've found Blue Magic metal polish (I'm sure other brands would work but I don't know what brands) does a nice job of removing the yellow/ gold/ blue color. Give the old parts a good polishing and the color difference is not noticeable. With use the color tends to start dark at the exhaust ports and fades as the gases cool moving down the pipes. Personally, I really like that effect.

Lex

37310[/snapback]

I installed the Staintune cans using the stock cross over first, and the cans were twisted in exactly the same way they were with the Stucchi. Therefore I blame Staintune.

The pipes I installed on the 1100 sport also required some filing, twisting and bashing (not much mind you) to fit, so I thinks that is par for Staintunes. In contrast the Bubs I fitted on the 1100 and on my Monza lined right up.

Guest WildJackal

The Neptune mufflers are very nice. Are they available in the US? The price is steep as well.

I agree with Lex the polished Staintunes don't go with the rest of the understated Guzzi. They are beautiful but too much bling for my taste. I prefer the dull grey of the Guzzi Titanium.

That said, the Staintunes are still at the top of my list. They look durable and high quality.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times :!: Leo Vinces... Build quality is top notch, alaignment is spot on, solid as a rock, made in ITALY, sound is exquisite deep RUMBLE and they are available in titanium, brushed aluminum and CF. Leo Vinces are the only way to go. But I could be wrong :huh2:

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times :!: Leo Vinces...  Build quality is top notch, alaignment is spot on, solid as a rock, made in ITALY, sound is exquisite deep RUMBLE and they are available in titanium, brushed aluminum and CF. Leo Vinces are the only way to go. But I could be wrong :huh2:

37421[/snapback]

Have you got the URL of a web site that has Leo Vince mufflers for the Guzzi? I've found them for other bikes but nothing specific for my V11 LM

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times :!: Leo Vinces...  Build quality is top notch, alaignment is spot on, solid as a rock, made in ITALY, sound is exquisite deep RUMBLE and they are available in titanium, brushed aluminum and CF. Leo Vinces are the only way to go. But I could be wrong :huh2:

37421[/snapback]

Never mind - found it :homer: