Burning smell & smoke!

Guest robbrugg

Guest robbrugg

So I took the V11 to the DMV for registration. It was a little scary, considering my last bike was an 82 Yamaha Seca (7 years ago). Anyway, no incidents on the road (besides being at the DMV for 2 hours waiting around).

BUT - when I got it home, after parking it, I noticed a really strange smell and a little smoke coming from the top & center of the motor right behind the cylinders. Looking as close as I could, I couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from. It smells like burning wiring. The day after, I could STILL smell remnants of burning wiring/electronics.

I'm afraid to ride again! I don't want to FRY something...

Not likely the '01 would cook off any engine paint. Most of the wiring is right sided.

Maybe you could risk a start up with the seat off so you could monitor where the trouble arises? :rasta:

Most likely smoke culprit behind the motor is gear oil onto the crossover . . .

Guest lintonsa

robrugg, not sure exactly what your experiencing, but it could be engine oil collecting on the exhaust manifold. It happened to me on my 04 LeMans. The oil was leaking from an ill fitting line from the left cylinder and was collecting on the manifold as I was riding. The problem has since been fixed by the dealer. I hope this helps you. By the way was your bike modified in any way electrically when you bought it. Good luck, I hope you find the problem.

Guest robbrugg

Good ideas so far. I will try starting with the seat off. It might shed a little more light on the subject.

No wiring mods were done on this bike.

I E-mailed the guy I bought it from, but he said that this never happened to him.

Did you or anyone else use WD40 or similar to clean the motor or exhaust? I did that once...

Guest Brian Robson

I use WD40 on the pipes after drying and the smell upon starting is utter heaven...if only they made it in a parfum B)B)

Guest robbrugg

Interesting about the WD40 idea - I will ask the last owner about that. Since that first ride to the DMV, it's stopped completely. The smell is apparently "leftover" odor that is almost completely gone. No more smoking either.

BIZARRE! So there ARE such a thing as Guzzi-Gremlins...

I will take it to a dealer soon, if I can just stop riding for a couple days. Yesterday went up Pacific Coast Highway, then up Mulholland and down Topanga Canyon - man, Southern California is georgeous!!!

Robb

Guest davidb

Burning electrical plastic smells different than oil. Its a good idea to pull the seat and side covers and run it. Last time I smelled burning plastic was on my beemer....it was my rainsuit pantleg.

...although unrelated to this example specifically, similarly I had my newly ceramic(Jet-Hot) coated exhaust system smoke and smell upon the first fire-up of the engine after installation. "Fumes" just coiled off of the pipes, and the smell was quite acrid....

After it "burned in", it was gone...

al