oli pouring out

Guest rrbasso

Guest rrbasso

My buddy just got into work and where there had been oil seepage now there is oil all over the bike and ground, it looks as if its cumming from the alternator cover ? whate gasket or seal gave out, im looking through my manual anybody give me a place to start,

thank you Tony :luigi:

Tony, if you are certain it is not run-off from anything else, there is a seal in the timing cover around the crankshaft behind the alternator stator/rotor (I never can remember what the right name is) that may be the problem. Have you removed the cover yet? k

Yep, unfortunately this is one of those very common "if it's gonna happen, it happens right away" failures/leaks/problems.... especially for the "fuzzy" black painted engined bikes.

My timing cover gasket blew out within the first week, spewing oil all over the engine and my legs before I knew about it..... could have been tragic <_>

Hint for those worrying about it though: In hindsight, several of us who had the gasket blow, remember seeing a bit of gasket peeking out at the mating surface, making us think the gasket may have been torn during engine assembly :huh2: So if you see a bit of gasket sticking out from under your timing chain cover, this might be an early warning.

Anyway, apparently, along with the other problems associated with the "fuzzy" painted engines, this series of engines blows out this gasket quite often. There is a variety of of theories, paint in the fastener holes, on the gasket mating surface, new employee Guido the engine assembler being ham-fisted installing the gasket, etc... but I've not heard a "for certain" cause.

However, although inconvenient, don't fret too much.... once the gasket is replaced, I've not heard of the problem repeating itself.

Sorry to hear even the 2003 Nakeds are still exhibiting this problem, and many of the 2002 owners had to deal with it, even several on this forum :huh2: You would think MG would have figured it out by 2003 after all the warantee repairs for this issue in 2002 :unsure:

Anyway, again, although inconvenient, it's not a big deal in the long run. Your dealer should be able to replace the gasket under warrantee in no time, as it's a minor repair.... and it shouldn't repeat itself.

Good luck :thumbsup:

al

Try the easy fix first- check all the bolts holding the timing cover on.

OK, that's too easy. Next is pretty easy too. Remove alt. cover. Remove alt. stator. Remove rotor (you need a piece of hardened rod for this- read up on this part in a manual or Guzziology). Loosen all the bolts holding the timing cover on- whack with a rubber mallet to pop it off. Clean both sides- make sure there's no paint on the mating surfaces- put on a new gasket and a light coat of oil, and assemble everything back. Probably 3-4 hours work if you really take your time. The only tricky part is removing the rotor.

J

Well I guess i am just unlucky, my timing cover gasket blew out twice. Right under the motor mount on the right side. The third time I pasted up the area with a little black silicone and haven't had the problem since.

Guest davidb

If you decide to take it to a repair shop, I heard good stuff about Munroe Motors in San Francisco. Be prepared for a wait since it is riding season.