Hmmmn.Not the best of starts to ownership!

Ballacraine

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only know what I've picked up on the various boards, but I believe the Scura & Tenni had dual plate clutches rather than the single of the LeMans, etc. Again, from board discussions, there seems to be many more problems with the dual plate than the single. In fact, on WildGuzzi several people have converted to single plate from the dual (although its mostly cruisers there). I would defer to others on this forum who know more, but if you end up having your dealer tear it down, you may want to consider a conversion to a single plate clutch........vk

....backwards.... reverse "dual-plate" for "single-plate" in almost every location mentioned above, and you've got it right :P

But to further clarify the issue, the single-plate clutch that is failing like gangbusters is on the cruisers, and is a different single-plate clutch than those found on the Tenni, Rosso Mandello, and Scura, which were the only V11 Sport models to come from the factory with single-plate clutch.

All other V11 Sport/LeMans have the standard, tried and true, dual-plate system.

It is normal for the dual-plate clutch to rattle, sometimes pretty loudly, when the clutch lever is pulled. The single-plate unit apparently rattles in the opposite scenario, i.e. is engaged and under the "right" load to let it rattle.

al

Sorry Al,

I'm a bit confused by all that....

Mine is a 2002 Scura. It is quiet when the engine is cold. It rattles when engaged in neutral when it is warm.

VERY LOUDLY..Like I said earlier like a heavy machine gun.

You have to shout to make yourself heard over it.

Surely that can't be right?

What is the remedy?

Nige. :unsure:

Sorry Al,

I'm a bit confused by all that....

Mine is a 2002 Scura. It is quiet when the engine is cold. It rattles when engaged in neutral when it is warm.

VERY LOUDLY..Like I said earlier like a heavy machine gun.

You have to shout to make yourself heard over it.

Surely that can't be right?

What is the remedy?

Nige.  :unsure:

Hrmmm, well we've had this discussion(how loud is too loud) with regard to the single-plate clutches(which you have) several times before :unsure:

And the consensus is that.... it's hard to say without being there, or having another single-plate bike there to compare :huh2:

But I will say that "in general" the sound and circumstance you describe is normal for your bike. It's "rattle" is going to occur just about opposite to every other Guzzi, especially V11 Sport variety, that you encounter.

I guess the only way to reassure you is to suggest taking it to a competent dealer to see if the amount and timing of the noise is normal, or suggestive of a problem. Be sure to remind them that this bike has the single-plate clutch as compared to the standard dual-plate setup, but then again a "good" dealer should know this.

I doubt we are going to be able to tell you for sure, without being there :unsure:

Some good threads on the subject:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=2343&hl=clutch

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=2659&hl=clutch

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=2249&hl=clutch

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=2017&hl=clutch

al

Guest John T

Simple and normal.

When cold, tranny oil is thick and absorbs the noise. When the oil warms it thins out and you hear the (normal) noise.

Single plate clutches are almost 4 pounds lighter thus less flywheel to smooth out the V-Twin power pulses. The gears speed up and slow down fast banging together and making the noise.

Try raising the idle to 1100 rpm and use a heavier gear oil like Redline heavy shockproof.

Then go out and ride the snot out of it and enjoy!

Less worry, more riding.

Simple and normal.

When cold, tranny oil is thick and absorbs the noise. When the oil warms it thins out and you hear the (normal) noise.

Single plate clutches are almost 4 pounds lighter thus less flywheel to smooth out the V-Twin power pulses. The gears speed up and slow down fast banging together and making the noise.

Try raising the idle to 1100 rpm and use a heavier gear oil like Redline heavy shockproof.

Then go out and ride the snot out of it and enjoy!

Less worry, more riding.

Thanks for the re-assurance John... :)

That all does make sense.

What is your recommended SAE rating for the gear oil, please?

Nige. B)

Guest John T

Redline heavy shockprof is rated 75W250, but according to Redlines website has the same friction as an SAE 75W90. (what is required) I have been using it and it works fine.

If you ride in colder weather the lightweight shockproof or Redlines regular synthetic gearlube can be used. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Just to stick in my two cents my scura's clutch rattles loud enough that very little else can be heard at a stand still. I don't know about shouting but talking loudly is common at a stand still.

Many thanks, John.

That is the information I needed.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this.

Your assistance is greatly valued.

Nige.  :thumbsup:

Hi Nige,

I can also chip in regarding a noisy clutch on my Scura. I made an inquiry in this forum called Shake, rattle and ?? because I had the exact same experience as you.

I also find the noise not only annoying but also embarassing as it sounds like the engine is being badly maintained (which it isn't!!)

I spoke to my fellow Dane, Mogens Mortensen, who also had the the same problem with his Rosso Mandello. He complained to the Scandinavian importer, but to absolutely no avail (litterally they didn't give a flying f*** about it. They would pay for the spare parts but wouldn't pay for the labour. Wankers!)

:angry:

Søren

Well, I have faith that John's recommendations are going to minimise the problem anyway...

I am just relieved that the bike isn't about to explode on me! :rolleyes:

Nige B)

(litterally they didn't give a flying f*** about it. They would pay for the spare parts but wouldn't pay for the labour. Wankers!)

Errr...hang on...was there anything actually wrong with the clutch? :huh:

(litterally they didn't give a flying f*** about it. They would pay for the spare parts but wouldn't pay for the labour. Wankers!)

Errr...hang on...was there anything actually wrong with the clutch? :huh:

I've read Mogens' letter to the Scandinavian importer in which he complains about the noisy clutch. It's my interpretation, that there is something rotten going on as the Importer offers Mogens spareparts for the clutch job but nonetheless won't pay for the labour. Mogens' local dealer has been loyal and helpful to him all the way, so the main obstacle is the Importer (www.aprilia.dk)

Mogens is on his way home from a trip to Mandello together with a bunch of happy Danish Guzzisti (the annual trip to the Holy Grail :) ), but he's also active in this forum under name of Rosso Mandello. Mogens, are you there??

Søren