Orange Coounty

Anthro

I just purchase my first Guzzi, done it by phone off Santa Ana California (I am in Texas)... Dealer was honest, they delivery, but I had to hunt them in every step, they where extremely relaxed... but finally I got the Bike.

Shame on the Texan deales They rather send your business to another state than work the sales price into a decent deal.

Glad you got it worked out, but many dealers, even local to OC are quite upset about the prices OC is selling the bikes.

It seems that MGNA made a special deal with OC to unload a huge stock of older bikes at a great price, but didn't make that deal available to any other dealers(this is what I've been told anyway). And the prices that OC is selling some bikes is below cost of what other dealers paid, so they just can't compete.

It upset Mark Etheridge at Moto Guzzi Classics(a well known and respected local dealer/competitor to OC) that among other problems such as warantee snafus, etc.... that he finally just gave up and resigned as an authorized MG dealer, and now only focuses on repairing bikes and selling accessories. It's a shame.

He also got miffed that most folks that bought at OC, ended up bringing the bikes to his shop for repairs/warantee, as many weren't so impressed with the customer support aspect OC offered. YMMV of course, but that's what I've read on other boards.

Since you are in TX, this latter issue is moot though for you.... :D

Glad to hear you got a good deal though, and hope the bike works well for ya!

Congrats :bier:

al

• 3 weeks later...
I just purchase my first Guzzi, done it by phone off Santa Ana California (I am in Texas)... Dealer was honest, they delivery, but I had to hunt them in every step, they where extremely relaxed... but finally I got the Bike.

Shame on the Texan deales They rather send your business to another state than work the sales price into a decent deal.

I read with interest the comments on OC Motorsports in Santa Ana, CA. They became a Guzzi dealer two years ago; I bought the first V11 LeMans. I also purchased a Triumph, a 2003 Ghezzi-Brian & 2004 V11 LeMans from them. Yes, they are honest. Yes, they sell a lot of Moto Guzzi's; 120 already this year. In two years of selling Guzzi's they now sell more than any dealer in the history of Moto Guzzi. The guy who claims OC gets a special deal from MGNA is incorrect. Every dealer in the country was/is offered the same deal. I am perplexed that the dealership is condemed because they are putting a lot of Guzzi's on the road. They also have purchased more accessories for Guzzi's then any dealer in the country. OC have the latest Dynotech dynometer and have made hundreds of maps for Guzzi's. They have converted a number of riders of Japanese brands over to Guzzi's. Unlike some dealers they will work on Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, BMW's, anything. On a personal lever, I will continue to take my motorcycling business to them because of who they are and how I am treated.

...is that why I've heard that there is a dealer initiated lawsuit in the works? :unsure:

Good luck to OC, and I'm glad they are selling lots of MG product, I honestly am. I have nothing against them personally, and I wish them the best luck and prosperity.

But when died-in-the-cloth MG dealers and enthusiasts like Moto International, MPH, and Moto Guzzi Classics make it clear that this was not an egalitarian arrangement... and the subsequent systemic negative impact it has had, well, that's too bad, and it makes one wonder why.

That's the impression I have received :huh2:

al

Guest bshpilot
They have converted a number of riders of Japanese brands over to Guzzi's.

whoa man...i suspect they wont have made too many

friends doin' that....

its one thing to SELL, something else to service...and i suspect

their "dumping" isnt the only reason other dealers are pissed....

now these other dealers have to SERVICE the WARRENTY issues !

Why should MPH sell you a bike for less than it cost them ? They did the right thing in telling you to get it from OC . Decent deal :huh2: for who ?

MGNA appears to be shooting themselves in the foot over this one.

The mom and pop shops are what have made Guzzi great.

By making it possible for OC to undercut the competition, MGNA has yes, sold more bikes but only for the short run.

This is of course assuming that MGNA gave them a bulk discount or something to that effect.

I guess we may see the evidence if they go to court.

They have also stung themselves by not adequately backing the warranty.

Is OC going to be a Guzzi dealer five years from now?

It is pretty ironic that of all the So Cal dealers that contribute to the Ramona annual rally, only GP is the remaining authorized dealer...this is sad.

May the gods bless Cycle Garden, Moto Guzzi Classics, Pro Italia, and GP for their good spirit in supporting the Rally!

But hey, for all I know, OC may have been unfairly rejected from contributing because of politics.

Man, this sh^t makes me feel almost guilty for buying from Wilson's, who I believe has also undercut the competition.

It boggles my mind that my 12,000 dollar bike can be sold new for about 8000 now.

GP should have took my $10,000 plus tax offer.

Perhaps MGNAi should just drop the middle man and sell everything on eBay with no warranty. eGuzzi! Fix It yourself sucka! :luigi:

I'm not sure how exclusive this program was... When I first saw my discounted 2001 V11 in Jan/Feb this year, it was at Munroemotors.. I phoned Motointernational and they were aware of the program, explained it to me, and said they had some bikes.. They also said it was poorly managed in terms of the same bike being promised to different dealers etc.. But my impression was that more than OC was participating in the program.. When I talked to the guys at Speed Sports, they said they were aware of the program too, but chose not to participate as it meant an increase in inventory ( I think it was something like trade in 1 bike if you take 2 more) at a time when they had more inventory than demand..

From a dealer perspective, I know it kills your margin, but isn't the point to also attract new customers who will patronize the shop for repairs and accessories ?? I ended up getting the bike from Munroe and have been more than happy with the service and support.

Cheers, Tim

Guest bshpilot
From a dealer perspective, I know it kills your margin, but isn't the point to also attract new customers who will patronize the shop for repairs and accessories ??

i might agree, 'cept OC is DUMPING into other dealers territory....

OC is adverting in traderonline.com (and maybe ebay?) low balling

all the other dealers outta sales.

i know there are cases that have been talked about on this

very forum where folks bought from the west coast, shipped it

to the EAST COAST & TEXAS....

there no accessory sales *OR* service outta that for OC....and

the 'local' dealer is left going over the bike <new bike setup/prep>

that OC didnt do...not to mention the warrenty issues that i bet are

hard to collect on (from mgna)

I'm not sure how exclusive this program was...

From a dealer perspective, I know it kills your margin, but isn't the point to also attract new customers who will patronize the shop for repairs and accessories ??

These bikes were offered in lots of 10. MPH owns their stock, it is not financed , it's paid for up front with certified funds. Had they chosen to participate in this buy a bunch at one time deal, they still couldn't sell them as cheap as OC. Sounds like a exclusive program to me or a John Stoddart back door deal :huh2: OC sells these bikes to people all over & then other dealers are expected to do the warranty work & make the PDI right. I wont get into getting reimbursed by MGNA for warranty work. MPH knows how to retain & obtain customers & thats the reason they do warranty work on OC bikes & maybe you'll will remember who took care of you after the sale, not how cheap you can buy a bike from dealer X. Another thing, as a dealer you're not allowed to arrange your own freight. At one time I was going to haul bikes back to MPH & another dealer on my way home. MGNA requires a dealer to use their freight services, sounds like another sweetheart deal. I don't blame any dealer for opting not to a authorised dealer or refusing to do warranty work on OC bikes. Ever heard the saying " dance with the one who brung you " ? Anthro, will you be taking your bike to OC for warranty work ?

Guest somenewguy

There seems to be much distress over the OCMS bikes, and the people that buy them and do not support the "local" dealers.

I purchased a 2002 Scura last month from OCMG.

$8,700 out the door as advertised.

i asked about how they could sell this bike so inexpensively, and was given a thorough explaination of the program that MGNA offered OC.

There is no extra issue to be resolved, I bought a bike I would have never bought at full price (I looked at them in 2002) at a used price. Done deal. Did my local dealer (about 20 miles closer than OC ) have these bikes to offer? No; if they did I would have strongly considered buying one there, based soley on proximity. They only have used 2001 v11 sports with 10k on them for the same price, no warrenty... natch.

So i buy the new bike with the warrenty and i will have it serviced at any authorized dealer i choose. They are a factory authorzied dealer, they are required to service warrenty issues, regardless of where purchased...just like the toyota truck that i bought (based on price only) at an awful dealership that hasn't seen me since, do I get grief for getting warrenty work done at a competeing dealership? no.

A motorcycle is a major purchase....to me, $6,000 is a lot of money.

So let the other dealers whine and the "core" people complain, and i will ride my scura and think about it never again.

BTW the staff at OCMS is just as helpful as the staff in any other European shops...but i am not there to make freinds, i am there to buy motorcycles....or get them serviced.

I do not stand by any dealer.

To set the record: The MGuzzi OC sold me was indeed well prep, now at 350 miles I just enjoying it.

Dealers are dealers... I just would like to see a better market presence for MG. But I think, part of the problem is indeed the dealers. The old choice of volume or margin may keep MGuzzi almost too exclusive for us to enjoy a good support and spare parts availability.

The local dealer I was trying to purchase from was Britalia, a small dealer for BMW, Triumph and MG. Located close to I45 near the Hobby airport in Houston. Since I was not easy about buying my bike over the phone, I offered about 1k dls. over the OC price. They recognized that there was an special from MG-usa for crated bikes they could order. We agreed the they will look into that and get back with me, but after a week of wait, I called them but they did not do their homework... not to even say NO we can not... but ...here is what we can do...

Only then I decided not to deal with them and order my bike from OC.

I just could never make it to MPH... is one of those things too near to get the day off and to far to just make it... and to go there on Saturday you need to make an appointment...

Related experience

Trying to buy a car ... the dealer near by (Mazda of Clear Lake) wanted 17k for the car firm!!! close to cost price, etc... Next day I drove 90 miles and got the same vehicle with more toys for 13.9K... in a follow up call the sales rep wanted to cry saying that they were able to beat that price... but to my recollection, they just did not!!!

I would not cry the dealer’s cry.

--------

I think all this MG price deal had to do with the cash crisis at Aprillia, and is going to go back to normal soon.

In any case every day I enjoy more my MG, and started putting coins aside for my next one...

Warning

Do not drive MGuzzi while upset.... The very heavy MG Aluminum sport will do wheelies in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, definitely is not a driving mattress -read HD-

Anthro

-

I just could never make it to MPH... is one of those things too near to get the day off and to far to just make it... and to go there on Saturday you need to make an appointment... 

They're open every saturday. Appointments are for oil changes & tires & such.

So you are saying you never contacted MPH to see what they could do ? When you say shame on Tx dealers then you are just talking about British USA ?

Well now, let's not bash the customer for finding a the "best deal" :whistle:

.... in that respect, especially if we are talking a couple thousand $$ difference, I can't say I blame anyone for taking the better deal.

In fact, I had this same conversation with the guys at Moto Italiano, and when a customer comes in and plops down the "OC price"(which has been happening a lot lately)... the guys just say, "well, that's well below my cost, and no I don't blame you if you drive 6 hours to get that deal. I would, and understand if you do :huh2: "

But the problem for the dealers, and customers, is that the local $$ are being sent out of the local economy when this happens, and that hurts everyone.

Dealers make NO MONEY(and even sometimes lose money) on warantee work, and it's a huge hassle. And one's buying a bike remotely does nothing to keep $$ local, and the shop in business. So if one would like to see one's local dealer stay around, continued "programs" like the one that OC apparently participated in only serve to undermine the long term health of local dealers.

And for the customer, the deal may be great, but then resale drops like a rock for everyone else that bought the bikes at more "reasonable" prices. Perhaps one might simply say, well "thems the breaks" :huh2: ... but strategically it is seen by potential customers as a negative, and in the long run also costs Guzzi, and the local dealers.

Anyway, kudos for those that got great deals, but IMHO, "sweetheart deals" as this appears to be(even if indirectly, say by having requirements most dealers cannot meet, like huge minimum purchases) only serve to hurt the marque long term. So I hope that in the future, MGNA(or whoever continues in their stead after any sale of the company) will treat dealers more equitably, and also get the warantee system setup to be less of a negative impact for said dealers. But that's a whole 'nuther problem from what I've heard <_>

I guess it would have been nice if "the Guzzi community" had the fortitude to boycott these sort of deals, but that's just not reasonable to expect.... and many of the people buying these bargain bikes were new to the marque anyway.

For those that bought bikes from a dealer(s?) that got in on a sweetheart deal, don't take these complaints personally. Your announcement was simply the catalyst for this discussion.

Glad to hear you got a great deal on the bike, and welcome :thumbsup:

al

You are right, I was a bit out of line when I said "texas dealers"

(but I had a simmilar perception of stiff and firm pricing policy with other dealers dealing with other brands of motorcycles... )

I did call and MPH indeed show some interest but not enough to wire me and get the day off at work.

During that time -February- when I made my mind (first: to get a MG!, then: this summer!) they had a new 2002 Scura below 9000 dls, but with 02's engine paint problems all improvements introduced during 2003 I decided to get a 2003 or 2004.

I did my Homework calling around with no much luck... Actually I learned about MPH by talking to the guys at mr fix it... http://www.mrfix-it.net/ (They do not seem to stock MG any more)

Distances are great in Texas and price talking does not work over the phone.

I may add to the "do not drive MG while upset", "do not post while upset"

Do not worry about MPH, they are going to get my business for the maintenance, and I hope, my next Guzzi.

Truth:

I got the California aluminum because it was real cheap, and has the engine I love since the early 80's, but the one I was looking for a Le Mans. ( After riding the California for 350 miles I just love it, I will add a LeMans but not get rid of the Cali).

Anthro