Oil Change from Hell

Guest jerroldt

Guest jerroldt

OK, first oil change. I brought the bike to the upright position using leftover deck beam pieces and shims. I have all the botttles of Amsoil full synthetic motorcylce engine lubricant and 3 bottles of Pennzioil gear lube lined up. The gearbox and the bevel box were easy. I used 1/2 OZ moly in the bevel box in addition to the gear oil.

I drained the sump and removed the filter cover using my bolt thing. I tried using my oil filter wrench from Harper's and it didn't work. I tried every trick in my experience to loosen the oil filter. I tried shimming the oil filter wrench with electricians tape and wedging something under the wrench to loosen the filter. I was determined not to have to drop the pan. I finally drilled a hole into the filter and drove a screwdiriver into it to loosen it. The UFI filter finally came out and my garage floor was covered with oil. (synthetic does seem slicker). I have found that the oil filter access cover can be reinstalled without being cross threaded but it takes time and patience. I think that the next oil change will be easier. I will install the ST3614 filter per American specs (hand tighten).

jerroldt,

My first oil change was pretty similar other than that I planned to take the oil pan off from the start. My oil filter was either brutally over tighten, put together dry or both by the factory. :moon:

Changes since have gone much more smoothly. :thumbsup:

Lex

My first filter change was tough too. I dropped the pan. (You're supposed to on the first change, to check/ clean the screen.) I took a strap wrench to the filter. The filter collapsed. I broke out a hammer and screwdriver to it and the thing finally came off after slugging the screwdriver with a BMFH.

I think Guido uses Loc-tite on the gasket instead of oil.