Replacement Sump

Guest 2001f4s

Guest 2001f4s

I understand there is a sump pan that includes an external cartidge filter for the V11. Can anyone comment on this mod and provide info on where to find these.

Thanks

2001F4S

Guest vkerrigan

I believe Harpers outside Kansas City sells these but they are intended for the cruiser line and not the sport V11's. If you go to the MG US web site and follow the dealer link to Harpers, you can get all the POC info..........vk

I have one on my 00 V11Sport. It is very pricey, cost about $500. US dollars. Raceco also sells this sump for slightly cheaper. It is made in Germany and there are no distributors in the US. MG Cycles buys it from their parent company in Germany so that is one reason the part cost more from MG Cycle.

It is a bolt on application to the engine BUT, you need to modify the side stand and include a stop into it since the bracket and rubber stop can no longer be used (no place to bolt). Also you will need to make (cut file and weld) a bracket to reinforce the side stand mount to the oil pan. There is a 6mm bolt on the side stand bracket that is eliminated (no place to mount) on the new sump. Without this 6mm. bolt, the sidestand bracket will bend (yes the cast piece will bend) and your bike will lean farther and farther over. I know from experence :homer: .

Mike

What's the advantage of using an even deeper sump? Or is it just ease of filter change that you are looking for?

J

The main advantage of the deep V sump is that the oil pickup is in the center of the pan. The theory of the oil pickup between the V of the sump is that on fast turns there will be no oil starvation (oil being forced outward). I would also think that this would also help on acceleration and when braking. My Rosso oil light came on once on a hard acceleration when it was about 1/2 quart low during break in. My sport with the oil sump, never had this problem.

The second reason was to get rid of the broken oil cooler brackets. There was a time when these were hard to get. :mg:

The third reason is ease of the filter change and just a different look of the sump.

The spec. of the deep V oil sump states that the oil capacity of the engine is increased. This might be true with the non V11 series, but with a V11, the oil capacity stays the same.

Mike

I like the idea of moving the oil pickup, but do you remove the oil cooler when you fit the deep pan? I guess so, since MGCycle indicates that this model is for 'big blocks without oil cooler'.

Or is it a different model you use? Does G&G still make a deep sump?

Not that I'm going to buy one- I'm just nosy.

J

Hrmm, well then.... may just have-ta get me one of them thar things one day then ^_^

I think that will be on the very bottom of the list though, after I simply can't find anything else to tinker with for a "good reason". Although $500 is hard to let just lie around for "no good reason".... so it's unlikely I'll get one. Who knows :rolleyes:

But then again, my sump spacer is bubbling pretty badly along with the cases, and MGNA won't warantee replace that, sooooo <_>

So, do you think that the increased cooling offered by the V-Sump extension is good enough to actually completly offset the need for the oil-cooler radiator? Or is it even "better". Just curious if anyone has measured oil-temps with and without this extended sump.

al