How loud are FBF cans really?

Guest CafeRacer

Guest CafeRacer

Like the topic says...

I'm going to pull the trigger on some pipes for the V11.

I love the short stubby look of the FBF cans, but am only a little afraid that they'll draw A LOT of attention to me and exactly how fast I'm going.

I'm also considering the Giannellis and the Leo Vinces.

Any thoughts?

i have...

i sometimes ride behind this rosso mondello w/fbf's and you can tell

they sure sound nicer, i don't think they are "loud"

also, compared to the stock stuff anything will seem louder...

as soon as i save enough i'll do it too. it won't matter much which brand

(i still have to hear one i didn't like)

Dude, just do it man. :thumbsup:

I have FBF and before buying tried to hear them all. Ferraci sound the loudest and have the deepest bass. I always wear earplugs on the open road and without flyscreen I do not hear them at speeds over 140 km/hr and with the flyscreen you have to go 160 to hear just the wind.

But a slow cruising around town gives you the best aural experience in all motorcycledom.

Guest ratchethack
a slow cruising around town gives you the best aural experience in all motorcycledom.

Roger that. :thumbsup: and I would say the same about ripping up thru 6-7K RPM. I just installed FBF oval carbons yesterday. I'm running Todd Egan's suggestion for a PCIII map (#003), stock airbox, already running a Stucci crossover. Beyond going from a near-stock "Frankie Valee" sound straight into the moto-aural equivalent of Lucciano Pavarotti, :wub: I find much less need now for looking at my tach... Surprisingly, at speed (on the flat and no accelleration) I still can't hear the engine over the wind past my Stucci quarter-fairing either, but in the lower registers around town the sound approaches pretty close to my admittedly low threshold for sound pressure without earplugs... So far, I can't say that I notice as much of a midrange-and-up torque boost as I got when I put the Stucci crossover on 8K miles back with the stock cans, but it's undoubtedly even stronger now throughout the midrange and on top. Since both FBF carbons weigh less than a single stock steel/alu can, the weight savings was significant enough that I'll have to back off on shock preload to get my sag back where I want it. That's next, with expectations for improved balance and handling. :mg:

Guest CafeRacer

Ok. Pulled the trigger on the FBF cans. Bought a fender eliminator while I was at it.

I'm going to have Todd do my PCIII as well. :food:

And you're happy with them?

Definitely yes.

Esthetically - The smaller size fits so much better the lines of the bike. The huge stock pipes are sure easy for muffling the sound for governmental nazis' sake but throw the whole bike out of balance.

Aurally - For me these are the best sounding pipes, period.

Functionally - I do not know since did not compare directly. They make the difference for sure and if you look throught before installation you see the light from the other end. They are basically hollow inside with some mesh muffling material in the walls.

Just my 2$. I went with the FBF ovals, Stucchi xover.FBF lidless air filter, WHO HA! The sound is positively beautiful. Performance improved, however you need to do some tweeking to the ECU (get it remapped) you'll be thrilled!All the previous comments from forum members are right on. Enjoy your purchase and the ride!

The best change in exhaust note for my bike was not the Mistral cans, crossover or FBF airbox mod - although they all sound awesome. The best change was the 11:1 pistons. The sound changed from a low throaty growl to a low throaty bark. I couldn't believe the difference. It is still very quiet at idle and quite acceptable at low power settings but when full throttle is applied it is a whole new sound. It does seem to bother many stock pipe riders but then not for very long. It especially surprises riders of powerful bikes like GSXR 1000's. I know they can beat me but when I gas it and get the jump on them while wheelying they are as much impressed by the blast of sound. The main drag of Harrison Hot Springs knows whenever I am coming!!!

Guest callithrix

Ditto on the previous comments in regard to the FBF pipes and modifcations. The pipes are a beautiful " Basso Profundo" you hear them, but you also feel them. You can have a lot of fun setting off car alarms especially in enclosed parking areas. I've been running my bike with those mods for about a year and a half. The hi compression pistons will also enhance the engine's ability to rev, I suspect they are lighter than the stock pistons, I didn't wiegh them prior to installation. :bike:

When I picked up my '03 LeMans, the dealer had put a huge dent in the left stock can while unloading it. He offered me a set of FBF cans at cost minus. I installed them with only about 800 miles on the bike, so do not really have a read on the difference they really made. But today while running an errand, I pulled alongside a Harley rider and slowly passed him. At the next stoplight he told me that he thought he was about to be passed by the best sounding Harley he had ever heard. :lol: And Harley riders thought they had a lock on sounding good. Now we know. Later, Dan.