First service interval-The aftermath

Guest jerroldt

Guest jerroldt

The Amsoil that I used for the sump, comes in bottles with both ounces and liters. (by the way it is fully synthetic with API ratings of SH, SG,CF and JASO MA, whatever that means). The levels on the bottles were between 32 OZ and 1 liter so I spent some time figuring out how to accurately get 3.7 qts. into the sump plus the oil that I poured into the filter. I think that I eventually ended up with 3 oz. more than intended. As usual I filled the oil filter before installing it to prevent a dry startup. I added 25 oz. of Pennzoil Gear Plus 80W-90 GL5 to the gearbox and then kept pouring it in until it was just at the top of the sight glass. I used 1/2 oz. Moly in the bevel box and then added gear oil until it ran out of the center plug hole. (in the future I will dump the Moly into the gear oil). Now for the bad part. I started the bike and ran it for 60 seconds and got it out of the garage. I forgot to put the dipstick in! You can't imagine how much oil and mist can be blown out of the crankcase in 1 minute. Took me a while to clean things up. I have noticed that the bike will now snick into first gear immediately without rolling it back and forth since I added the Pennzioil Gear plus. Looks like a happy ending after the mess was cleaned up. First oil change is the hardest and I just wanted to vent.

Guest rrbasso

Dont feel bad I work in a bike shop and behaind closed doors we all do stuff like that and we all will do thoes things again, at least you didnt lose the drane plug on a test ride :huh2: not that i have ever done that :helmet:

You might want to reconsider your transmission oil level. I filled mine to the top of the sight glass and found oil puking out the breather. When I put oil to the bottom of the sight glass the puking stopped.

True. Both the gearbox and the bevel box benefit from accurate measures of fluid.

Filling the bevelbox to the overflow plug will underfill the box by about 20% since the fluid cascades of the gears and out the hole.