Valve cover access on 03 Le Mans

Guest jerroldt

Guest jerroldt

My bike has about 2.000 miles on it and the owners manual says that I am overdue for valve adjustment. Any tips as to loosening fairing side screws and slightly skewing the fairing or jacking the tank up for easier access to the inboard valve cover screws. I can't find anything doing a search but I know lots of owners must have an easier way than removing parts of the fairing.

Guest jerroldt

Al:

Thanks for the reply. This is what I planned to do to begin with but just wanted to know if there was something that I hadn't thought of. I think that with the help of a kabob stick and patience I can find TDC without even using a rear stand.

I have set my valves several times on my 03 --Like Al said-- leave the darn fairing on! Either loosen that last fairing screw by the cover and gently lift ever so slightly to get an allen wrench in there or just try putting the allen wrench in there (the fairing underside appears to have a rought finish so even if you hear a scraping sound while turning the allen wrench, it doesn't hurt the fairing (so far!). No problem :D I also pop by pipes off the heads, loosen the bolt holding the pipe to the crossover, then the alternator cover comes right off after taking off the two screws holding the temperture sensor plate above the cover (that has to come off too to get the alternator cover off).

Guest jerroldt

It was really easy. Remove the left and right fairing side screws, the seat and the tank bolt. Also the side covers. The tank can then be pushed side to side for access. A long shanked screwdriver can be used to loosen the valve cover screws as they are not tight. I needed a hex head wrench for several screws. One valve cover gasket stayed on the cylinder head and one came off with the cover. I will adjust the valve clearances tomorrow since Kim just put a Bud Light into my hand. What the heck, the book says to adjust the valves cold.