Paging Paul! Anyone else who has had the sump off.

pete roper

Look, has anyone had or are they going to be, taking the sump off their bikes soon? If so could they also be persuaded to remove the intermediate spacer and take some photo's and send 'em to me?

I'm pretty sure that designing a windage tray for the V11's will be fairly simple but I'm loath to do one on spec. The shop I use for lazer-cutting the plates I make for earlier models can easily produce them for me, the *basic* design will be very similar to the early ones but I need to know if there is anything that sticks up or down through the plane of the bottom of the crankcase. If not I can probably get a prototype cut for Enzo next week.

Pete

No promises, but I do need to change the oil this weekend. Unfortunately, I need to drop the transmission out of my Eldorado too (and that takes priority). If time permits, I'll take some pics for you. I assume you would like a ruler or something for measurements?

J

edit: if time permits, I'll drop the pan and take pictures...

sorry wasn't clear about that earlier. Sheesh, I wish I could go home right now....

Pete,

I'm not taking my pan off for a few thousand miles, but if a winddage tray were available I would most definitely want one. I've had my light flicker a few times (both braking and accelerating from a stop) with my oil level slightly below the mid point on the dipstick.

I'd love to have a little more peace of mind.

OK, I've got the sump and the spacer apart. I'll post a couple of pictures tomorrow. There are a few bits that stick above the gasket line. Pete, shoot me a note off-line, and I'll send you a link to a site where you can download large picture files. Can you handle .tiff images or should I convert them to jpeg?

I tore the upper gasket when I was taking it apart. Note to self- remember to take off the side stand 6mm bolt. Grrr. I started to swear, cause I thought it would be monday before I could get a gasket. Actually, I'm pretty good at swearing, I found out. Then I thought....Guzzi hasn't changed much since, oh, about 1970. I bet the oil sump gasket off my G5 might just fit (I have a spare). It fits just fine. Quit swearing, and now I'm ready to put it all back together.

More later.

J

Thanks mate, I've got to go to Melbourne today to shovel a couple of old Tonti shitheaps into my trailer to drag 'em back up here for work so i won't get a chance tio have a look until tomorrow night. After that I'll print out copies of what I need and you can whip 'em down if yuou like. I'll give you a hoy when I'm done.

Many thanks.

Pete

Why don't you make them from aluminium?

He said the aluminum ones he made developed stress fractures over time....

I mentioned that although SS is heavier, for a street application, I'd personally choose durability/reliability over weight/performance.... especially when the weight will be down low anyway.

al

Had a visit today from a new Ballabio owner. we went over his bike and finished off the Pre-Delivery which hadn't been done by the vending shop :angry: .

Anyway, among other things the sump wasn't removed at the 1st service so come 5,000kms he's bringing it back and we'll pull it off, along with the spacer. I'll have a squizz at Jason's pics and do some preliminary planning but having a 'Broad Sump' engine in I can pull the bottom off should make it much easier to organize straightof the bat without faffing around and modifying things several times.

I informed him about this site, he should hook up soon, he's looking for advice on different screens/ fairings for the Ballabio as he hates the standard one.

Pete