Throttlemeister Installation Conundrum

P3GA

Ok, for those of you that have sucessfully installed & use the Throttlemeister, I need you to think back about the 3.5 minutes it took to getting the throttle lock to work properly....

After entirely too much time playing around with this thing, I checked the operation of the brass collar / piston by mounting the RH weight on the left hand bar. The piston works properly, as you turn the T'meister, the piston extends and contracts, as designed. ;)

Returning the RH weight / throttle lock & reinstalling it where the lord intended, I am unable to lock the throttle in place without tightening the bolt so far that the throttle cannot return. It's locked down good. This occurs with every combination of spacers I have tried, with or without the friction sleeve. :angry:

If I loosen the bolt up so that the throttle returns to it's resting place, all I've accomplished is loosening up the bolt. :doh: If I really losen it up, I can see firsthand what Al meant in an earlier post about the bouncing qualities of stainless steel on a cement floor.

Obviously, I have missed something, maybe I'll have my 4 year old look at it. The problem now is that I have entered the realm of paralysis by analysis, & feel totally inadequate, i.e. Throttlemeister envy. :stupid:

If you folks can think of anything I should be looking for, I'm all ears. I'll be off to pick up new grips later. Who knows, maybe the friction sleeve is sliding around underneath the grip, or I might need to slice off a piece of the throttle sleeve....

For now, the weights are reversed, just to check out how well these things dampen bar vibration. But for as many cabbages as I paid, sure would be nice to have them work properly.

Phil

Atlanta GA

'02 LeMans

I had to carefully trim back the plastic throttle sleeve that the had grip rotates on by flipping the handgrip back toward the instruments by about1/2" and carefully cutting the barrel back so that it was flush to the end of the handle bar. You may have to trim the grip similarly. I just used a razor blade, the plastic is pretty soft.

My throttle meister worked perfectly after that...I didn't have to change out or add any shims ( see the instruction sheet, if that is needed)

Happy riding, it's a nice addition to your bike! :D

Andy aka

Anyone fitted the Throttle master with the Two Bro's Bars?

When you say Two Brother's bars, do you mean thick walled tapered aluminum bars with 1 1/8' clamps ? (I've always heard them called 'Pro-Tapers') If so and you find out what works, let us know. I tried to find out from Throttlemeister what fitment to use and they never got back to me.

Guest bshpilot
Anyone fitted the Throttle master with the Two Bro's Bars?

i have the tbr clip-ons the tube is not the same id (inside diameter)

from outside edge to the other end...i couldnt get a napoleon bar to fit

flush w/ the twobrothers clip ons (i wound up goin' w/ the cng bar end

mirror instead)

Your right about the inside diameter. I couldn't fit universal bar ends due to the step, the ruber kept working back out and the they are too big to be tapped for the OEM MG ends. I sent an email off to TM with hopes they have been down this road before. They mentioned Heli bars but none others.

Also, are the "large" TM ends the one to have for vibration control? or will the regular 12z do?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is sort of an alternative to the Throttlemeister. It is a basic throttle lock, I've used this type for years on different bikes. It's made by NEP and can be found in many bike shops in the US. Generally $12.00-$15.00, it is an economical, workable throttle lock.

Dan, thanks for the tip on adding more spacers, after speaking to TM I got it to work properly by removing the large washer that fits into their sleeve & monkeying around with the spacers. Works wonderfully, which is good, as I was about ready to lose my mind.

I had it in my head that to improve comfort I would need to raise the bars, but now with the Throttlemeister eliminating just about all the vibration, relocating the bars has gone from a must to a nicety.

I find it much easier to cover more ground before needing a break. In my eyes, well worth the price.

Thanks for everyone's input on this one.

Phil

Atlanta GA

'02 Le Mans