pop @ 3000-3500 rpm

Guest GGuzzi

Guest GGuzzi

Ok. recently I read on a thread that if I am getting a pop in 3000-3500 rpm range that I should probably check the PC 111 and adjust the setting so the bike runs RICHER. I took it to the dealer today and explained the problem and that I recognize the problem to occur when the bike heats up and when the weather is hot and humid ,he replied that the bike should be run leaner @ that rpm range. At this point I am confused and can't figure out what the hell to do. Any thoughts.

Well, it depends :P

Running an engine leaner will produce more power(to a point) but will also cause the engine to run hotter.

Running an engine more rich can be used to cool the engine to avoid detonation and overheating issues.... especially with air-cooled bikes.

Since our bikes rely on an uncontrolled variable environment for cooling, unlike a water cooled engine, this can sometimes be something of a balancing act, and fraught with compromises.

But, "pops" in a particular RPM range can be symptomatic of either condition though, even being an overly rich condition... it really just depends.

For example, I've been having a mild "popping" problem around 4k on my bike lately, and Mike Stewart thought it might be running too lean. However, after looking at the map, fiddling with the values myself, and also consulting Todd Eagan.... it seems like it actually was running a bit on the rich side in that RPM/%throttle range :unsure:

What I would do is download your map to your PC and send it off to Todd Egan at Guzzitech and see what he says. I suspect that if you tweak a few cells, the problem will go away.

I just don't know which "way" to recommend tweaking them without seeing the map myself. But any ridiculously outlying values in the affected RPM range are usually clues.

I'm just glad to hear that you have a PCIII, as it makes solving this problem much easier for the home mechanic :thumbsup:

al