Cycle Cat Clip-ons Ordered

joe camarda

I've ordered a set of Cycle Cat clip-ons for my 01 V11 Sport and they should arrive any day now :rolleyes:

By way of explanation...I currently have a set of LeMans (black) forks on my Sport, and since they are longer than the stock Sport forks they protrude about 1 inch above the upper triple clamp, and the Cycle Cats will be mounted onto this 1 inch protrusion.

By my calculations the Cycle Cats will be

1.5 inches higher than the stock bars.

1.0 inch set-back from stock.

I had planned on changing the following:

Front brake line

Clutch line

And these items should be readily available from Galfers or MPH Cycles or a number of other sources.

But it has now (better late than never I suppose) occured to me that I may also need to change the:

Throttle cable

Choke cable

Can anyone comment on the neccessity of changing any of these items? Will I need to? Is there anything else that I may need to change? And if so, any recommendations as to sources?

TIA. Joe :helmet:

PS...does anyone have V11 Sport/Lemans tailpiece for sale? Damaged is okay.

Does Cycle Cat offer something that will mate to a 54mm shock?? We have talked with these folks several times over the past year or so and they can't seem to get the interest or support for MG with 54's :(

One of us even visited the shop to try to get something going (can't remember who but the thread is here). I quit waiting for an application and ended up settling for a Two Brothers Racing set up knowing CC is a beter arangement with "S" riser..

As recently as 2 months ago I asked for something off the shelf that would mate and I'd figure the rest out but no luck :not:

re tail piece, I might have one with very minor damage if MGNA can get one to me. They sent one NIB with more damage than the one I had. It went back and I am now in a back ordered status... I think that neans after the summer holiday season in Italy maybe one will get made along with all the Ti cans folks are waiting for.. :huh2: I'll keep you posted. As you know the new piece runs about 8 bills new :bbblll:

Hi Edge. Re the Cycle Cats, the largest stock size is 53 but they are enlarging a set of S risers to 54 for me. So I'm getting an "S" riser with a 1.5 inch rise. The clamp is 1 inch thick so the bar will be approx 2.5 inches above the top surface of the upper triple clamp. Cycle Cat also offers a 2.5 inch riser.

GULP :whistle: You gotta be kidding me General! How much for the tailpiece? $800 new! Well, okay. Please keep me posted on the availability of yours.

Joe :rasta:

Guest nitro nori 41

Joe,

you might want to consider one of Paul Minnarts vii tail pieces if stock Guzzi parts are so expensive..

Do you have any pictures of the new handlebars you talk of, (cyclecat)

and would they fit with a LMans fairing?

JM. :thumbsup:

Hello JM. Go to www.cyclecat.com for details and photos. My guess is that once the clamps are enlarged to a 54 they should bolt onto a Lemans. My guess is also that you would want to use the S type riser (w/ a 2.5 inch rise) and mount it below the upper triple clamp. I'm also guessing that with the S type risers you'll have adaquate fairing clearance. I guess.

Sorry I cant be more definitive.

I think once you look at the website you will be better able than I to judge re fitment. keep in mind that I'm dealing with a bastard stepchild of a V11 Sport mated to LeMans forks and a Stucchi fairing.

Hell, I'm not even sure that my application will work :huh2: ! Pray for me! Joe :helmet:

Guest vkerrigan

Joe.......The Williamsville risers that I used were a 1 1/4" rise and I didn't need to change brake/clutch lines or throttle cables. Since your Cycle Kats are only 1/4" higher, I doubt it will be an issue. Are you concerned about the height or the pullback (or both)? Since you seem to be the first with this system, I think you'll have to wing it but I wouldn't buy anything till you know for sure. You may be able to manually hold the clip-ons in the approximate new position of the Cycle Kats to get an idea also. Good Luck and I hope the install goes well and with few/no mods.

Happy Trails.. B) .....vk

Guest vkerrigan

Joe.......No, the entire clip-on assemblies just elevated up to the new location although the pullback on the Williamsville risers are not nearly as much as your Cycle Cats. Maybe one of the other guys on the board in the Modesto area can give you a second pair of hands to simulate the clip-ons (and cabling) in the Cycle Cat positions. Wish I were closer as I'd gladly volunteer. The closest thing I had to interference is the brake/clutch lines under the CF instrument panel. I didn't have to modify anything, but if I did, the banjo fittings could have been loosened and adjusted to route at a different angle. Since both the clutch line and throttle cable essentially go rearward, you should be able to loosen or re-route tie wraps there. I would think that the brake line would be the critical link & fortunately thats the easiest to modify. You may consider talking to Mike or Todd at MPH (281)647-6557 as well. I'm sure they did a lot of research in this area before producing their risers. I've always found them to be very helpful with anything I threw at them. Good Luck!......vk

• 5 months later...

I also contacted cyclecat by e-mail one month ago and they told me that they have other project ongoing at the moment and don't have time to prepare a set of clips for the 54mm fork.

I think I will do as Ian did, drill the plate and put 2 risers and a handlebar.

• 2 months later...

Joe, I think we're all curious. How did it go???? If it worked, are they willing to make some other sets?

I spoke to Cyclecat and they said that they "shelved" the V11 risers due to such a small market. They did say that if we had a group interested...they might be able to get something going. They recommended we give them feedback through this link. I provided :2c:

http://www.cyclecat.com/ccconnect01-01.htm

Good lord... how large a "group" do they need before they make a kit? :rolleyes:

I think at least 10 of us have inquired over the last 2 years, not to mention one owner offering to donate his bike for weeks so they could mock-up the prototype.

They seemed like nice enough folks, but I gave up on CC a long time ago.

I choose to support the few that stuck their neck out on this small market like MPH, Williamsville, etc...

al

Like Al he said...

I am convinced their lack of action over the past couple of years has already cost them the bulk of customer base they were holding out for.. :huh2:

How hard could it be, the already have scores of configurations that could be adapted once the got the Marz fork diameter cut and those with Olins, diameter wasn't even an issue...

A shame, a good product, lots of flexibility, and it looked like it was the Cat's Ass (no-pun intended) to the bar height problem that many try to change.

As you can tell, I'm one of the folks that gave up waiting and being lead-on (18 months) and spent my money elseware. In my case, Two Bro's was the 80% solution but at least the were avaiable and in my hands two days after being orderd :luigi:

I have to apologize for not posting photos of the Cyclecats. I actually had photos of both the stock bars (mounted below 3clamp) and Cyclcats mounted at same time (above 3clamps) and the difference was about 1.5 inches up and 1+ inch back. Plus they can be rotated for different angles. The e-pics were lost in my computer, erased when I had to have it de-virused I think.

Anyway, the Cyclecats worked out well for me, but I had to replace the clutch, fbrake and throttle cables/lines.

Unfortunately, the rest of the bike has not fared as well as the Cyclecats. :huh2:

BTW. If Cyclecat wont enlarge a set of their risers, a machinist certainly can. You are only enlarging the inner diameter 1 mm - reducing the clamp thickness by half as much.

I found Cyclecat very easy to deal with, very helpful and prompt. I will try to post some photos of the Cyclecats. In the meantime I would be glad to answer any q's about them.