Tuning HELP!!!!

Guest nitro nori 41

Guest nitro nori 41

HELP please, :luigi:

My 03 corsa has a tuning issue,running the highway out of town,60-80 mph,then slowing into town the motor gets sick in the 2-3,000 rpm range, coughs,backfires through the airbox,stumbles,cuts out,missfires, all on a very small throttle opening,.ITS BLOODY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!. :moon:

My bike is stock at pressent, i did have a pair of carbon oval Mistrals on it briefly and it ran worse.

Now ive complained to my Dealer and to MGNZ importer,

My Dealer now says they will disconnect the lamda sensor on the exhaust crossover and twidle with the air bleed screws on the throttle bodys, they say the sensor is telling the computer to run too lean!!!!!!.

Now last year i had a SCURA, my first GUZZI, :thumbsup: and it had the same problem!!. And no lamda sensor,

I got p------d off with the tune, oil leaks,bad dealer work,dings in my Ohlins,ect. and traded it on a BMW boxer cup, Then missed its throb and bad ass looks!!!! :thumbsup:

Now i know from looking around this great forum most go to the Powercommander at some stage,however ive spent $27,000 on Guzzis finest, and at the moment i dont want to spend the $1,000 on the power commander, and i think it should run properly standard . So any help, suggestions out there in V11 LAND??????????, please. :mg:

I had the same problems with my 2003 Rosso Corsa (KAT with lambda sensor)

The problem was that my ECU had a software which was not up-to-date.

A sticker shows the version number 61601.049.01.

With a new software 61601.049.02 alle problems are gone.

Iit is still pinging a bit but no more stumbles,cuts out or missfires.

Nitro,mate

I feel your pain brother.

My Ballboy does a similar thing & farts like a trooper on the over-run, like it's running too lean, mine's totally stock at the moment and, like you , feel that after spending that much hard earnt (more than many other well respected bikes)it should be right. :angry:

Miles

Had exactly the same problem on my '03 Rosso and was equally miffed that I bought a brand new bike that didn't run smoothly. The PC III totally corrected the problem (but IMHO Guzzi should have installed it- or something similar- in the first place). :angry:

I cannot remember ever buying a new car that had a built in "stumble".

Some BMW motorcycles (with catalytic converters) had these problems ("lean stumbling") much much worse.

With the ECU software update (not each dealer is able to do this) this problem (if it really is "lean stumbling") will be solved. :luigi:

Rather than futzing with the air bypass screws, try to richen it up with the TPS. 10 minutes job, tops. Search for the settings Bruce (New Hampshire) uses. I run a little less rich than he does, and my bike runs very, very well.

Also, hate to tell you this, but the stock crossover (in my opinion) sucks rocks. When I put a Stucchi on, it made a world of difference in that 3-4000 rpm range.

J

No!

Please be aware of that on a 03/04 model with catalytic converters (these were not delivered to the U.S.) this doesn´t change anything!

Maybe you will also damage the catalytic converters doing so.

The lamba sensor detects the exhaust gas and controls the ECU, so every change you make will be overriden.

Guest nitro nori 41

Thanks guys for your posts, :thumbsup:

As Biesel mentioned the USA spec bikes dont have the Lamda sensor and cats in the cans,!!!!!!! But my Scura last year had the cough-stumble as well and it didnt have the sensor or cats,.

Would anyone else like to put there opinion in on this,maybe RacerX, I would rearly apriciate the help before i tackle the Dealer on tuseday.

Also could i buy a Powercomander mailorder from the USA. and get it with a map,close to what is needed that i can finetune on the road myself.

The Dynojet dealer here is the same Dealer my bike came from and the less i have them work on my bike the better, :vomit: . Or do i have to have it on a dyno to sort the PC111.

Thanks Guys. JM. :(:(

Guest dkgross

one other thing to check...on my bike, one of the wires INSIDE the temperature sensor had worked loose, shorting out once in a while. It would send a signal to the ECU that it was 3 degrees C outside and it would flood out.

a properly tuned PCIII should really help, but if you're not comfy with the dealer there doing the dyno/setup, I can understand that...