shift spring

Guest sweep

Hi all Sweep here.

I am due to have my bike returned to me this week. after i complained and threts of leagal action to Aprilia UK they agreed to take my bike back and rectify all my paint problems and 8 broken shift springs the only problem is they have had the bike since begining of june. so my appologies for not getting to the UK V11 meet.

Iwill post again with my views when I have seen the bike!

the reason for the post is that the dealer Aprilia sent the bike to for all the work contacted me to ask some questions (I cant remember the dealer name)

and he said that last year all UK dealers had been taken to the factory and all sorts of technical topics had been discussed, among them the SPRING issue and he told me all the dealers were told by MG technicians that when you replace a broken spring with the new and improved apring that they must replace the selector arm at the same time! to fix the problem, how many dealers have done this?

sweep

I have just purchased my 2nd v11s, a 2003 model, I made it part of the sale that the spring and boss were changed before purchase. watched the job been done. the boss was oversize 16mm. Other than a slight oil leak at the back of the gearbox I have had no problems with either bike. The first bike did 22000miles a 1999 model.

the hardest part, sweep, is finding a dealer who you can relie on when needed, and not just wanting it off the shop floor.

My local Aprillia dealer will quite happily sell you a v11 but doesn't want to know after that.

Today, I spoke with Mark at Twiggers, who originally alerted us to the problem of the oversize boss. He says they have not seen another spring break after incorrect pawl arm has been replaced. Of course, it maybe none of the bike's he's dealt with have done the miles - it's been crap weather - but I am hopeful.

KB :sun:

Sweep,

Can you confirm wether your bike had the correct pawl arm - or one with the oversize spring boss?

Thanks,

33875[/snapback]

Hi Baldini

originaly when my dealer was replacing just the springs I told them about the oversize boss, so they measured mine and found it to be the correct 15mm.

but I dont know if they used a tape measure or a micrometer.

what they did say was that the arm was badly worn wirh some sharp edges that could be breaking the spring. at this time they cuold not get any parts as the production line had stoped as no parts were available because Guzzi could not pay their bills. so they put some weld on the arm ground it to size and put it back in the gear box. the idea being that the weld was a hell of a lot harder than the original metal!

in the meantime I had been moaning to Aprilia and they agreed to fix all my complaints. (I hope)

There should be an old post on here somewhere with a picture of my bike being "recovered" by the AA back in May, when the spring failed at 800 miles. It took 6 weeks to get the bike back on the road (exacerbated by a delay in getting new "pork chop" plates - unrelated I know, but the paint peeled off at the same time!).

On August Bank Holiday Monday, at 1201 miles, the spring went again!! The bike is still at the dealers, who, despite their bvery best efforts, are having difficulty getting sense out of MG/Aprilia UK.

I have taken advice from Trading Standards, and threatened rejection etc. On the basis of the first letter, I have been told that a "comprehensive" repair including a new shaft (not supplied last time) is proposed. The dealer has been given the part numbers, but no parts.

In desparation, I have given them unitl the beginning of november, when the bike will be 1 to get it fixed, BUT also told them that I will not accept it back without written confirmation from MG that they will extend recovery/warranty provisions beyond the two years (I've asked for a further 36 months) in respect of this problem!!

Not confidence inspiring is it!!

The bike is still at the dealers, who, despite their bvery best efforts, are having difficulty getting sense out of MG/Aprilia UK....I have taken advice from Trading Standards, and threatened rejection etc. ...I have given them unitl the beginning of november...

Windchill,

This is ridiculous. Who is your dealer?

Spring fix is a couple of hours job in the garage.

The parts are available in the UK.

PM me if you want more details.

There should be an old post on here somewhere with a picture of my bike being "recovered" by the AA back in May, when the spring failed at 800 miles. It took 6 weeks to get the bike back on the road (exacerbated by a delay in getting new "pork chop" plates - unrelated I know, but the paint peeled off at the same time!).

On August Bank Holiday Monday, at 1201 miles, the spring went again!! The bike is still at the dealers, who, despite their bvery best efforts, are having difficulty getting sense out of MG/Aprilia UK.

I have taken advice from Trading Standards, and threatened rejection etc. On the basis of the first letter, I have been told that a "comprehensive" repair including a new shaft (not supplied last time) is proposed. The dealer has been given the part numbers, but no parts.

In desparation, I have given them unitl the beginning of november, when the bike will be 1 to get it fixed, BUT also told them that I will not accept it back without written confirmation from MG that they will extend recovery/warranty provisions beyond the two years (I've asked for a further 36 months) in respect of this problem!!

Not confidence inspiring is it!!

34071[/snapback]

Sweep here.

I had exactly the same problems, my dealer could not get Aprilia to supply parts,

in fact in the end they refused point blank to authorize any more spring repairs as they had already replaced it several times!

the only time I got any joy was to repetadly pester the head office. then they collected the bike and sent it for repairs, I had a phone call today from Aprilia to say I am geting the bike back tomorrow Oct 23. I will let you know what I think.

on the subject of extending the warrantee I spoke with Aprilia about this with mine

and said that I wanted it in black and white that if the spring failed again in my ownership they would take the bike back and replace it with an Aprilia. this was aggreed verbaly on the phone but your post has reminded me to follow it up for the letter.

Sweep

I almost hate to say this folks... But what kind of world are we living in when Aprilia and Guzzi won't honor warranties and Ural does? Are we trapped in a backwards universe? :blink::blink:

From what I read in MCN, even Honda's aren't "Honda-like" anymore.

Kind of makes me glad I'm into sidecar rigs right now. Below is a pic of my latest project. Restored 1950's M72 frame & fender, '03 Ural Retro, the fender lighting is a Frankenstein hodge-podge. The tail lamp is 67 VW with a euro lens. But the sheetmetal for the tail lamp is made by me to fit the symetrical curve on the fender. VW sheetmetal won't fit a normal bike fender. I have a NOS 1960's Lucas red reflector on the rear bottom of the fender. The sheet metal for the fender lamp is stock. But I made the lens from a sawed off Mack Truck cab running lamp and a piece of 3" PVC pipe I turned on my lathe.

Body is under construction. I still need to trim the cockpit and finish the trunk area on it.

I say if you can't find a company that'll build you the bike you need, build it yourself! Who'll give me an "Amen" here? :grin:

painted_fender_003.jpg

havng been taken directly off the production line

If that's true, it's pretty exceptional. Normally the parts come from the aprilia warehouse. If they were allways from close to the production line, things might be better. But they also can't have a lot of unfinnished bikes because someone needed the spings.