slippery when wet

sharky

Not sure if a poll would work well for this - but it would be great to get an overview of what everyone is running and thier experiences. Obvioulsy its a bit subjective and depends what you are looking for from a tyre, but I guess a poll could at least take the application into account. I've never felt confident with the standard tyres either and would consider changing them early if I had a good idea of what works better - I know there's no gaurantee but I would rather trust the views of real riders in this forum than the views in the trade press.

Well Ken, why not run a poll? I think it would be great if we all could see what everybody was riding. I'm still on BT 020 but I'm not overwhelmly impressed.

Søren

My friend in Miami has a Triumph Sprint. He's keeping it unlocked out by the street so someone will steal it. He hates it and so do I after taking a few spins on it. That bike is the most anti-handling machine I have ever been on.

Anyway, I totally believe in Dunlop 207s. I've never slipped on them in any condition. And they give me feedback; if they are a little low in pressure, I can immediately feel the difference. Jason down at Moto International races on them and swears by them also.

I found BT020's don't have enough grip - wet or dry. Now on Pirelli Diablos which I like much better.

KB :sun:

34326[/snapback]

I run BT010's before and found them excellent tires, but the rear one did not last too long. Now I switched to 010 front, 020 rear and found out that this is an excellent combination. It seems to me that the Goose is not capable to overwhelm the rear tire even at full throttle and as agressive riding as I am only capable of.

Disclamer:I am talking dry pavement only here and my riding abilities are low.

I cannot imagine what all these people who slide the rear tire and find BT020 does not have enough grip are doing. You can call Guzzi engine many things but surely not high power, no matter how modified.

Well Ken, why not run a poll? I think it would be great if we all could see what everybody was riding. I'm still on BT 020 but I'm not overwhelmly impressed.

Søren

37997[/snapback]

Hi Søren,

I took a look to do this - might be my lack of ability :homer: but from what I could figure you need to admin or moderator to set up a poll.

I will have another go if this isn't the case ? Otherwise maybe one of the guys with access could help out here .......? :notworthy:

Ken

I run BT010's before and found them excellent tires, but the rear one did not last too long. Now I switched to 010 front, 020 rear and found out that this is an excellent combination. It seems to me that the Goose is not capable to overwhelm the rear tire even at full throttle and as agressive riding as I am only capable of.

38003[/snapback]

This is the combination that everyone using BT-020s here in sunny SoCal uses. Everyone seems satisfied w/ the grip of the 10s, but not the lifespan on the rear; nobody cares for the grip of the 20s on the front, but likes'em well enough for rear duty.

I like the idea of a poll to find out what people are happiest with.

Ride on!

• 1 month later...

I have tried a multitude of tires on various bikes on the street as well as track days. In my humble opinion, it is hard to beat Continentals. The "Conti ForceMax" exhibits excellent grip while being one of the most durable sport tires that I have sampled. Due to its composition, Continental recommends 42 pounds of pressure in the rear. I must say that at first I was reluctant to pump them up to this pressure for track use; however, after experimentation, the "Conti ForceMax" works best at 34-36 front and 40-42 rear (depending on ambient temperature) for track use. For street use and occasional track days, they are amazing.

Continental also offers the "Road Attack" which is about 20% less "sticky" than the "ForceMax", but will get you better longevity. As a track instructor at "Hallett Motor Racing Circuit" in Hallett, OK, we use Continentals. They perform, they are less expensive than the more advertised brands and they outlast anything else in the street/sport category. This is important if you either have a shop change your tires or if like me, you change tires yourself. Other brands that I used previously required replacement after 3-4 track days, the "Conti ForceMax" lasts twice as long without compromising grip.

You may want to contact Greg Reich at Continental (Greg.Reich@conti-na.com). He is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

PK

My standard rear tire BT 20 is really great to drive, except when it rains!

On a wet track it doesn't  feel good at all.

Does anybody has experience with this type of tire and feels the same, (or not) please give me some feedback.

I just bought the bike two weeks ago and really love this bike.  :helmet:

34317[/snapback]

I will NEVER put a front 020 on any bike I own. My Triumph SprintRS came with 020s and while the rear was ok, I nearly crashed in the rain, about 2 days ride from home. The front end just washed out and it was raining so hard that I was riding under the speed limit. There was a 1 1/2 inches of scrub mark on the shoulder of the front tire from the slide. Some friends ahead of me went over the same piece of road about 15 seconds before me and none experienced even a twitch. I think the only thing that kept me from crashing is my dirt riding experience and LUCK!!