Heated Grips

Keith Foster

Since the lower temps are starting to roll in, a couple of weeks ago I decided to get my Nero set up with some heat.

I like the aftermarket kits that are made up of two adhesive squares with the heating elements bonded to them. Available at some bike shops, ATV/snowmobile places. The kit I got technically was for snowmobiles, with warnings not to use on motorcycles as it stated it "could melt the throttle tube". -_- I'll take my chances.

As suggested by Al on some other posts I took power from the unused last fuse in the block. What Al didn't mention is (at least on my bike) this fuse location wasn't fed any power. So, for this I added a jumper from the next available block, by soldering a wire between the two. Then a wire runs from the other side of the fuse, up to the switch. In my case, the center tang of the on-off-on 3-position rocker switch. The switch I used is an automotive accessory type sold in performance or DIY shops.

After removing the grips (Pro Grip brand in my case, as I've changed them) the paper is peeled off and the heating elements positioned. Reinstall the grips, route the wires in a sensible manner then make the appropriate connections per the instructions.

Now the switch, the switch, where to put the switch. :huh2: For me, drilling/carving a hole on the dash or fairing somewhere wasn't in the cards. Looking around the bike, I came up with a location, a bolt to use and with some sawing/drilling/filing/bending, a SS bracket for the switch, picture atached.

After several test runs on some cooler mornings we've had so far, so far so good. They behave as I thought they would, I have experience with the same type as I've put them on a BMW K bike I had before the Nero. Yeah, the right grip heats up quicker and gets a little warmer, but NBD to me.

So, anyone looking to ride a little more comfortabe in temps below 60 F, have at it, regards.Dscf0016.jpg

Yeah, the right grip heats up quicker and gets a little warmer, but NBD to me.

Keith,

I did the same thing last fall and they worked perfect. I had no problem with the throttle getting too hot and melting the plastic. Though I don't know if you did this but I wraped duck tape :thumbsup: around the left handle bar then placed the heated element on the duck tape. This helped alot with the temp of the left grip. The right side still is a little hotter but the left grip gets hotter quiker and a little warmer than before. I hope I am not preaching to the chior, but this made a substantial difference for me.

Cheers,

JJ