Xenon Headlights?

Guest squiddysquid

Guest squiddysquid

Has anyone tried xenon headlights on their Guzzi? These really get noticed, so I was thinking about trying to swap out my stock headlight...particularly that the wet dimly lit season is almost upon us in the Northwest.

The dealer said the charging system might not be up to it...What say you?

Thanks

I assume you mean HID lighting versus "Xenon" bulbs?

If so, HID systems actually require LESS power than conventional Halogen bulbs.

I'll try to find the thread that I posted here last Spring?? on the subject.

Basically, there are many kits out there, and the "trick" is to go into the deal with a friend to buy a set, and split the cost.

The real challenge is/would be to fit the projector housing into the bucket and fairing of the LeMans. It definitely wouldn't fit in a V11 Sport headlight housing.

Since we have a single beam solution, a projector housing that physically moves the focal length of the bulb via a servo, and uses a mechanical shade, is required versus a separate low/high bulb combo.

al

Guest squiddysquid

You're not pulling my leg with that servo bit are you? That sounds miserable.

I thought that xenons were just brighter bulbs...I know I don't want the fake blue bulbs though. I did a little research and it looks like HID is pretty close to impossible. Which I think might be what Al said above.

My headlight just seems a bit dim for bad night and rain....oh well matches the rider.

Any problem with putting in higher wattage bulbs?

You can certainly get moderately higher wattage bulbs, and/or rewire the headlight on a separate direct power feed(there's a thread or two with instructions on that as well)... as the power runs through the switch and rather roundabout, leaving some juice behind as a result :P

But, many people have found that simply adjusting the headlight makes a world of difference :luigi:

Also, here in the US, the HID H4, etc... conversion "kits" that were being sold for a while are indeed now illegal. But although I suppose one could get ticketed for the kits I describe, these are actually fully legal self contained and calibrated projector housings from Audis, BMWs, etc... and if installed and aimed correctly, are no more a hazard than as installed OEM :huh2:

I don't think it's a necessary thing though on our bikes, and many researchers have pointed out that the extreme white/blue of HIDs may actually be a hinderance to night vision and safety anyway.

al

Hi again,

I've been corresponding with Norman Birtles from NippyNormans regarding a Xenon kit for the V11's. He sent me this thread so you can check for yourselves. The price for a kit is 249.99 UK Pound Sterling (add 7.99 for P&P).

I must say I'm quite impressed with this company (and no, I'm not a shareholder and I don't get any discount :P )´cause service seems to be the rule of thumb.

I'll definitely have a go at this kit when I hang up the wheels in a month or so.

Check it out and see if you like it - it can only improve the already p... poor headlight on the V11 :moon:

Cheers

Søren

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this HID setup in the Nov / Cycle World issue

http://www.jwspeaker.com/search.asp type in the # 8100 in the search box

It's the first HID for bikes that has D.O.Tapproval, it's also the the same as the optional HID on the Victory. The magazine article states that is for 96& later H-D's with a 7" light, but would work in most bikes that light assembly would physically fit $399 usd

Guest bushpilot

that jw speaker set up is nice lookin'....and maintains / gives you

a high beam too.

i installed an RM RACING HID set up on my K1200lt...the design of

the lens/light require something....it works fine but would be considered

illegal since it the OEM lens / reflector arent designed for it (if youre interested

let me know and ill go into some short detail)

ive been looking for a solution for my other bikes...this J.W.SPEAKER product might just be what ive been lookin for

You can certainly get moderately higher wattage bulbs, and/or rewire the headlight on a separate direct power feed(there's a thread or two with instructions on that as well)... as the power runs through the switch and rather roundabout, leaving some juice behind as a result  :P

But, many people have found that simply adjusting the headlight makes a world of difference  :luigi:

Also, here in the US, the HID H4, etc... conversion "kits" that were being sold for a while are indeed now illegal.  But although I suppose one could get ticketed for the kits I describe, these are actually fully legal self contained and calibrated projector housings from Audis, BMWs, etc... and if installed and aimed correctly, are no more a hazard than as installed OEM  :huh2:

I don't think it's a necessary thing though on our bikes, and many researchers have pointed out that the extreme white/blue of HIDs may actually be a hinderance to night vision and safety anyway.

al

34841[/snapback]

My car has HIDs and they are awesome. I know there are complaints about them ( damn yuppies! ) and must say they get my attention at night, maybe because they are quite different. Most of my driving is on country roads w/ no street lights. Can't say that I notice them when driving in Montreal at night.

The head light on my bike is incredibly bad, bring a flashlight. Earlier this year I installed a blue/white bulb, 55/60, and it seems to make the bike alot more visable during the day but riding after dark is still scary. Even at 2/3 speed there is still too much uncertainty for me. Again we're talking those country roads.

• 1 year later...