Left mirror fell off!

tomsp

The CRG hindsight mirrors purchased from MPH cycle work great.

Hey Slowpoke, thanks for the info on CRG mirrors. Did you go with the kind that insert into the bar end, or the kind that wrap around the bar? Thanks!

• 5 months later...

My left mirror fell off whilst riding the other night.

The plastic cup which holds the glass has a hollow ball part through which the metal mount passes and is clamped by a nut holding the spring against an internal metal cupped washer, against the mirror holder and then an external cup fixed on the stem.

My hollow ball part developed a crack which spread and allowed the internal cupped washer to slip through. The mirror to flop and work its way up the spring. I pulled it off before it fell right off.

I haven't tried to make a warranty claim on this as there are a couple of small scratches on the end of the mirror where it’s brushed against the garage wall. I don't know if that would have been enough to start the fracture or if it’s where I keep knocking against it, squeezing past the bike in my crowded garage, with my long range hump. I normally have to adjust it at the start of every ride.

I have a replacement mirror on order. They had it in stock but I'm getting it shipped with another part which is currently out of stock.

So I have affected a temporary repair.

Used a hot air gun to warm the holder to remove glass. Undid the nut to remove spring and internal cupped washer. and reassemble in correct order. Again using hot air gun to facilitate replacing the glass. Squeezed holder so that sets tight. The split has opened up so it’s a compromise between tightness and size of split. I’ve wound insulating tape around the ball to try and hold it together. Will have to see how effective it is.

I initially tried to remove the glass cold. I knew the hot water trick but I'm a fundamentally lazy git, and there was a far amount of slack, so put a crack in the glass. If I didn't have the one on order I would have warmed it first :luigi: probably.

There is worse news Debs caught me in the act with the hot air gun. She's less than impressed with more failures.

Martin, -- way to go thinking of taking he glass out and then adjusting the spring and washer! I gave up and just ordered a new left mirror from mg cycle. This new one seems slightly loose too. hmmm. I'll keep the "taking out the mirror" trick in mind for next time.

"squeezing past the bikes in my crowded garage,with my long range hump"

Martin,you cant imagine the pictures this conjures up.And you broke your mirror in the process-impressive stuff. :D

Guest Bob in CT

Kawaski ZX9 2002 uses the same mirrors. You can get one from Lockhart for under $30.00, EMGO for $21.95 from any parts u dealer. Support you Guzzi dealer when you can though or they won't be there when you really need um.

can someone tell me the mirrors Txrider has, maybe tx will see this and fill me in, I think they look saaweet.  :P:

:mg:

46894[/snapback]

Huh? Wasn't me as I'm too cheap to buy a digital or a scanner and so haven't posted pictures.