Left mirror fell off!

tomsp

OK, I think I'm having a bad karma day! While I was checking the oil light thing (see the thread!) I lightly brushed against my left mirror and it fell off :( The plastic hollow mirror part fell off from the articulated rubber boot over the metal bracket. Bracket is ok.

Has anyone ever tried to put the plastic mirror part back onto the bracket??? I can see where the plastic goes into a bracket but nothing I've done so far has worked.

Would a pic help?

Same happened once to me. I heated the plastic housing in hot water to make it more flexible and just carefully pushed the mirrorglass in. Make sure it fits right or otherwise it'll pop out very easily.

:homer: After rereading Tomsp's post I noticed he meant something else... oh well -_-

Not a bad possible solution there Admin Jaap :) Tonight I'll try steaming and/or soaking the plastic mirror end in hot water to soften it and then attempt re-inserting into the bracket. I'll take a pic or so to show what the heck I'm talking about too-- a new mirror is something like $50 I think which I'd rather avoid if possible.

PICS-- everyone likes pics

one pic shows both pieces of the left mirror. The mirror part is hollow plastic with a hollow plastic hole with a "lip" that fits into and between the two metal sleaves on the bracket.

The spring thing w/nut looks like is for adjusting how loose/tight one wants their mirrow to turn - which kind of means you should be able to take it off and adjust it!!! The inside metal ring definately has a lip to receive the plastic mirror lip!

I tried the hot water thing with no luck.

$50 here I come.

mirrow2.JPG

mirrow1.JPG

I'm ready to give up on the standard Lemans mirrors because of 1) excessive vibration 2) I'm tired of looking at my own arms and 3) it takes to long to get any kind reliable image from the mirrors, that is, too much eye diversion away from the road ahead. Therefore I have concluded that bar end mirrors are in my future. But my questions are these:

Which bar end mirror to use?

Can I retain the ability to use bar end weights?

How best to disguise the holes left in the fairing by removing the stock mirror?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Great forum!

Guest slowpoke

The CRG hindsight mirrors purchased from MPH cycle work great. The reason why I purchased them from MPH is because they machine the bar end weights to fit the mirror. I originally had custom bar end weights-quite a bit more weight-but machining them would have been out of the question. CRG makes an adapter fitting to fit in the end of the handlebars however, it is questionable whether it will fit and it eliminates the bar end weight. The mirrors are excellent-get the large size-and they make a folding model I believe the "LS" which is the one I purchased. My only complaint is that they are more difficult to see out of at night but work great during the daytime.

Guest callithrix

There are two types of Buell mirrors available. The latest version for the 03 firebolt isthe longer,wider version and the earlier version off 02 and 01 buells is almost identical to the stock lemans mirror. Both versions sell for about 20 or so bucks each, much cheaper than the MG parts. Check out your HD dealer. The only caveat is that HD dealers don't usually stock Buell parts and the numbering for buell parts is confusing and at times inconsistent. :bike:

I have consulted my Guzzi factory assembly proceedures manual for the answer to your predicament. Factory SOP's confirm that the mirrors are indeed held on with bubble gum. Try using grape bubblicious - I have had extremely good results with it's holding power.

Always happy to help ;)

cheers,

I have consulted my Guzzi factory assembly proceedures manual for the answer to your predicament.  Factory SOP's confirm that the mirrors are indeed held on with bubble gum.  Try using grape bubblicious - I have had extremely good results with it's holding power.

Always happy to help  ;)

cheers,

35457[/snapback]

Ryan, What the heck is bubblicious ???

I do that just to torment you Antonio! :D

Bubblicious is a brand of kid's chewing gum, especially known for pulling fillings out of teeth, and occasionally causing your mouth to stick closed.

As a roadside repair, it can be effective, but I really don't reccomend it as a permanent fix. Sorry for the confusion...

Rj