Dropping the engine, how heavy is it?

gthyni

Since several people here regualry drop their engine from the frame

and since I'm preparing for my first drop this is the place and time to ask.

How heavy is the engine (without transmission)?

Since several people here regualry drop their engine from the frame

and since I'm preparing for my first drop this is the place and time to ask.

How heavy is the engine (without transmission)?

36174[/snapback]

Offhand I couldn't give you a figure but I find it *just* possible to lift a motor on my own but don't like to as it's a real strain! Usually I rope one of the lads from Graham's workshop to help me as I'm way past trying to do myself a mischief lifting up heavy things that shouldn't be lifted alone!

Put it this way, if you try it on your own you WILL fart when you take the strain :D

Pete

I didn't drop the engine so much as lift the frame off. Basically, I put a piano dolly under the engine and then removed the wheels and lowered the frame and engine onto the dolly. Then I unbolted everything and lifted the spine off of the engine. This was for a complete disassembly of the bike, but it's somewhat the same approach others have taken when lifting the frame clear with straps from the ceiling etc. But... one has to ask. Why are you dropping the engine? Unless you have clutch problems or want to work on the transmission, there are no maintenance reasons I'm aware of that require this level of effort. Not many people here "regularly" drop their engines. As far as weight goes, I wound up picking up one end or the other of the engine several times, but never the entire thing. Getting a little too old for that...

Why are you dropping the engine? Unless you have clutch problems or want to work on the transmission, there are no maintenance reasons I'm aware of that require this level of effort.

The dolly idea is something similar to what I was thinking,

I looked at this:

mc_lyft.jpg

and wondered if it was worth the money or if I (normally built man) could

hurl the engine around without it.

The reason is that I will replace the camshaft and according to the workshop

manual (haven't check Guzziology yet) the engine should be removed from the

frame as step no 1. I would be more then happy if that is not true.

check here: http://kirra.net/v11/css/v11_153.htm

BUT now I see that the manual wants us the drop the engine to remove the heads!!!

PLS tell me that I can get to the camshaft without dropping the engine.

I don't see any real good reason to drop the engine. The cam is removed from the front. I would much rather pull the front forks and get at it from that end. I believe Pete Roper has written about this operation either here or on the Wildguzzi board. It was to replace a cam with hydraulic lifters. The fact the motor is mounted to the frame on the timing cover is one problem to overcome though.

to come back to the question, it's arround 80kg it took me 3 hours from start to get the complete engine& transmision from the scura.

I attached the front to the seiling, and put a small dolly with wheels under the engine, so I could drive it away whan bolts were gone.

I put a piano dolly under the engine

The only piano dollies I know would scream and throw their drink on you if you tried to put them under the engine.

I really like the video clips of the Classic Co guys ripping the MGS apart at Albacete. That seems to be a work friendly motorcycle. They also had about six guys to help..!

Goran,

Not done it myself, but I don't see why you can't change cam with engine in frame. You'd have to support motor while removing front mount bolts. You'd need cam followers out too.

If you do remove motor - like Carl says frame lifts away. My experience is on Tontis but essentially there's not a lot of difference - I always put motor on wooden blocks. It's quite manageable. I've lifted it alone but don't think I'd do it now - two man job or another trip to the osteopath. But depends what you leave on it - heads? clutch/flywheel?

KB :sun:

Nah, you don't have to pull the motor. I haven't done the cam on a v11 but you have to remove the rocker gear, pushrods and sump. Open the timing chest and remove the sprockets and chain then pull out the cam. The followers will drop out as you do this but if you're replacing the cam it matters not a jot as you have to use new ones with a new cam anyway.

To install the new followers you coat 'em with thick grease and slot 'em on a philips head screwdriver through the oil holes in the sides of the followers and post 'em in through the front cam bearing and wiggle 'em up into their holes in the case. The grease holds them in, you then slip the new cam in and reassemble all the rest of the gubbins,.

Pete

Thank you guys for the pointers and advise.

With a pushrod engine many thing are more accessible

that with overhead camshafts but the camshaft itself is

an exception. On the other hand with the V-engine I would

have 2 (or even 4) camshafts to worry about.

I had another question but I'll start a new thread with a proper subject for that one.

Thank you guys for the pointers and advise.

With a pushrod engine many thing are more accessible

that with overhead camshafts but the camshaft itself is

an exception. On the other hand with the V-engine I would

have 2 (or even 4) camshafts to worry about.

I had another question but I'll start a new thread with a proper subject for that one.

36376[/snapback]

Goran, do you need a camshaft?