Brake Pads

Mr. Bean

Hello all,

I'm looking for opinions and info on replacement front brake pads for the Ballabio. Mine began squealing under normal braking after about 1000 miles. I took the pads off a month or so ago to put some anti-squeal paste on the backs of the pads. At that time I noticed that 2 of the 4 pads had chunks broken off of the wear material. Each missing chunk was near an inside edge and was about 1/4 inch square or so. Other than that they appeared fine and the rotors are wearing ok. After applying the paste, the squealing stopped for about 300 miles but is now gradually increasing again.

Rather than play this game I'm just going to replace the pads. Does anyone have a favorite brand and part number? I'm not looking to replace the calipers or rotors, just the pads.

Thanks,

Randy

Bare in mind that a squeeling brake pad is a hard brake pad. Ones that are prone to not squeeling are soft ones.

At 30,000kms, I must say I have no complaints with the factory brake pads, in fact as a rider who mostly ignores the rear brake, I can say that the factory front pads have had a hard tour of duty, my riding style is one of braking hard and late. That said, I will be replacing the worn out ones with EBC pads, mainly because the EBC replacement for the factory rear pads has transformed the rear brake from a total piece of shit to a nicely moderating and strong [and long lasting] brake. I guess it's just like oil, or tires, or helmets. Once you've had good luck/service with a make, you stick with it until it buggers up.

Ciao, Steve G.

I put Ferodo Platinum pads in Scura. More braking, better feel, needing less lever pressure than originals. Haven't tried EBC tho I'm told their sintered pads are very effective. Never really noticed squeal from front pads.

KB :sun:

Thanks all for the info. I noticed that MAW has the EBC's for $26 per pair.

I'm pretty sure the problem with squealing has more to do with the chipped pads rather than the design of the OEM brakes. Hopefully just replacing the pads will solve the issue. I figure I'll probably go with the sintered even though they are harder than the organic ones unless anyone has had issues with noise on these?

Randy

Guest callithrix

I use Ferodo sinter ST on the front and Platinum on the rear on my 03 and stock pads on the 02. The stock pads have a more progressive feel and the Ferodos have more initial bite and are more abrupt. Preference will depend on your style of riding. :bike: