front fender extension?

beauchemin

I need a front fender extension badly. I was thinking of finding a broken front fender and making my own extension, but nothing has shown up yet. I know that Pyramid Plastics (in the UK) makes front fender extensions for a large number of bikes, but alas not for the V11. Maybe one of their non-Guzzi extensions can be modified to fit - has anyone tried this or know which one might work?

thanks

Chris B.

Steve, Steve :o ;

Surely he wants to extend the rear. What purpose would front extention serve :homer: ?

He wants to keep the front of the engine and alternator cover clean, I am sure.

Hello Chris,

I did thid mod on my own V11. You need a Kawasaki 500 GPZ extender (94 ->) available at Pyramid Plastics and then just cut and drill it to look like the one on the pic.

Fitting is not very easy because as far as remenber, the Kawa fender is more round than the Guzzi but fortunately, the plastic of the extender is quite soft.

Cheers

bav2.jpg

bav3.jpg

bav4.jpg

bav1.jpg

I fitted one on my bike as well. I found that the NT650 part was far too squared off to fit well (I never could mount it straight), so I cut the edges off with a dremel tool and shaped it to fit. It works ok, but I wish it were even longer. I still get some road crap on the lower part of the alternator cover and engine. Here's two views- it looks better in person- the pictures highlight the flaws I made in cutting (I've since evened it out a bit more).

J

Edited 11/14- I don't have the kawasaki extenda- I have the part from a NT650.

Still didn't fit well.

fenda_1.jpg

fenda2.jpg

Antonio,

Sorry to offend your sensibilities. Those were new tires (like 4 days new) when I took that picture- I'm much closer to the edge on them now. Not to the edge, mind you, but close. Curves are precious few and far between around here....but there are a few.

Chris,

The fit is a lot better than it looks in the pictures. Those were taken the day I mounted it up- that's silicon in the seam, so it looks funky. If you saw it today, you wouldn't notice.

Pierrot's definitely looks like a better fit than mine, though. I think it's the same part since I originally got the idea from one of his posts. I took a different strategy in mounting it up- I cut the sides off when I mounted it because it was a) difficult to mount straight because the plastic curves did not match up exactly, and B) I didn't want the fender to wrap around the tire.

J

To muddy the waters a little more....

I came across these in an old club mag:

V11UK (who visits this forum) fitted Pyramid Plastics Honda NTV600/650 (part no MPYR3002) said it just needed a little trimming & works well.

Another fellow used one that was made for an FJ1200 & said it "lined up with the mudguard's curved profile perfectly" .

KB :sun:

Pyramid's Fenda Extenda for the Honda NT650 works well too.

Will try to take some pictures.

When I ordered mine, they did say that they were looking at coming up with a bike specific one for the V11's, but needed somebody willing to lend them a bike.

• 1 month later...

I did some internet surfing of fender photographs and decided that the SV650 ('99-'02) had a similar front fender to the V11 Sport. I decided to take a chance, and ordered the Pyramid "fenda extenda" for the pre-2003 SV650 (Pyramid # 05010). The cost was $29.95 USD + $8 express air mail to Canada.

The profiles of the two fenders are almost exactly alike - the curves match very well.

There are only two minor differences.

#1 - The shape of the trailing edge of the V11 Sport fender is more square than the SV650 fender - this does not require any modification (but there will be a difference in shape where the trailing edge of the V11S fender meets the extenda).

#2 - The forward side edges of the extenda need to be trimmed to match the shape of the V11 Sport fender. This requires some care to match the shape of the fender's side edge, but is not difficult.

Hi Chris,

That is a very good setup you have there. There is in fact an issue with the factory front fender being more of a cosmetic piece than an integral part of the machine, meaning it is too small to do any good.

BTW, I know you've just gotten the bike, and it's a bit cool out there, but those are mighty big chicken strips on that front tire! :lol:

Ciao, Steve G.

Geez, I thought some smartass :) would point that out. What you see is the result from my most recent ride in wet & dirty road conditions - those chicken strips you see are just dry dirt. The real chicken strips are much skinnier. Honest.

BTW, I know you've just gotten the bike, and it's a bit cool out there, but those are mighty big chicken strips on that front tire!  :lol: 

Ciao, Steve G.

38965[/snapback]

OK, I take my reputation in my hands by responding to this criticism since protesting too much is usually the sign of guilt. But alas, I can't help myself (foot in mouth disease).

A couple years ago Rich Maund picked up a V11 fender on Ebay and modified it to where it looked like an extension of his front fender. It came down beyond the alternator cover. I'm going to do the same thing with the fender I bought from Al Roethlisberger last spring if I ever get around to it.

Geez, I thought some smartass  :)  would point that out.  What you see is the result from my most recent ride in wet & dirty road conditions - those chicken strips you see are just dry dirt.  The real chicken strips are much skinnier.  Honest.

OK, I take my reputation in my hands by responding to this criticism since protesting too much is usually the sign of guilt.  But alas, I can't help myself (foot in mouth disease).

39018[/snapback]

Finger lick'in good!!!!! :drink: