Guzzi A La Toscana

Orson

I had scheduled the first week in November to get one last ride in before the onset of winter in Italy. My intention was to take it easy, take some pictures of some picturesque Tuscan villages & generally putter about with no general sense of urgency. As the trip grew nearer, I kept checking the weather on the internet in hopes that there might be some glimmer of fall left. My hopes kept getting dashed upon the rocky shore of reality as, each time I checked, all I could see was a line of gray clouds with little rain drops eminating I kept checking again and again in hopes that the weatherman had made a mistake or the weather had taken a turn for the better but, alas, nothing but rain clouds appeared for the entire week. As I already had purchased a plane ticket, I decided to go ahead and try to make the best of a damp situation I flew into Milano, hopped onto a train to Parma & checked into my hotel. Parma is a nice city with many sights to see including a fantastic rennaisance era theater. However, that wasn't what I was here for. Things looked grim as I woke up the next morning and heard a thunderclap which was followed by a rain shower.

I headed for the bike shop like a man headed to the firing squad. As I prepared the bike, the rain had stopped but, the skies were still gray. It was almost 12 noon before I was ready to get under way so, I made the decision to slab it down to Florence on the autostrada (interstate). This decision was also due in part to the fact that BIKE magazine had rated the autostrada between Bologna & Florence as one of the best rides in Europe.

Around mid-afternoon I began to see vague shadows appear. The skies were getting brighter though, they were still gray but, hey, the roads were drying up & I was riding my bike. Things could be worse. As for the autostrada's great rating? I was less than impressed. It was still an interstate to me though, it did have some curves thrown in. I guess the interstates west of Denver would be comparable. The view was quite different though. Pure Tuscany. Italian pines dotted the landscape looking for all the world like the backdrop to a Leonardo Da Vinci painting.

By late afternoon, patches of blue began to appear. Hey! What is this? Maybe I'll get lucky. After missing my exit and adding an extra 50 km before stopping to check the map I managed to find my way to the villa I would be staying at in San Casciano, just south of Florence.

Here is a photo of the Villa Il Poggialo. This would be my home for the next 2 nights. Kinda looks like what a Tuscan villa should look like, huh. It's a family run place & me and my Guzzi were made to feel more than welcome. It felt like I was staying at someone's house. Well, it did used to be the family's house.

post_29_13197_Tusc04_007.jpg

I woke up the next morning to a vibrant blue sky Bonus! The weatherman was obviously asleep still. After breakfast, I loaded up & headed south through the Chianti foothills towards Siena, the smell of harvested grapes heavy in the air. Since I was sticking to the backroads & the towns I would be going through were centuries old, I expected the roads to be in the same condition. WOW! Was I ever wrong! The roads were fantastic! Imagine two parts Napa Valley, one part Deal's Gap, set the blender to "liquify". Enjoy! I did just that! The roads dipped and weaved through breathtaking scenery & this time of year there was hardly any traffic.

post_29_13584_Tusc04_009.jpg

I stopped for lunch in the scenic village of Monte San Savino. I ate at the little bar / gelateria across the street. It's against my religion to eat at a McDonalds in Italy It's impossible have a quick meal here. If you try to get by with just one course, they look at you kinda funny Count on spending 1 hour to have a nice meal. Well worth it

:thumbsup:

Quite probably the most gorgeous sport touring bike in the world pauses near the town of San Gimignano. San Gimignano is a tourist hot spot as it is very beautiful. I was cruising the back streets when I came into the main pedestrian throughfare. Imagine their surprise when a Guzzi mounted hoodlum hurtled into their midst. Realizing my mistake, I did a quick U-ey, leaving the dazed tourists to wonder,"who was that masked man"?

:D

post_29_15272_Tusc04_029.jpg

I ended the day back at the villa. What a gorgeous day it turned out to be! And fabulous roads too! I sat on the veranda with a glass of port wine watching the sunset go from pale blue & hot pink to pale blue & crimson over the Tuscan hills. La dolce vita! :D

another glass of port please!

post_29_15532_Tusc04_002.jpg

I was to be blessed with more blue skies on my third day! This day, I headed to northern Tuscany where the Appenine Alps lie. The roads got tighter and slower but the scenery was more of the same. The Appenines climb as high as 6000' making for cooler riding but, at least it wasn't raining causing me to tip toe thru the curves so, I wasn't complaining. Temperatures hovered in the high 60's low 70's.

Here near another picturesque village called Cutigliano, the most erotic sport touring bike in the universe pauses for a breather.

I'm sorry I couldn't take pictures of almost half the beautiful sights I saw. Most of the time the road was just too narrow to safely pull over and snap a picture. Y'all are just gonna have to go there & ride it yourself :P

Last one. This one's called,"take the long way home".

Descending from the Appians down to the plains of Parma, the roads opened up & became faster & sweepier. Good stuff A good way to end the trip. Unfortunately, all trips have to come to an end. This one was much too short but, I cheated the weatherman by getting 3 days of glorious blue skies so, I can't complain. Tip toeing thru wet curves sucks.

Totals:

Mileage: 1100 km in 3.5 days

Carabinieri sightings: 3 who seemed not to be the least bit interested in me

pucker moments: 0

Disclaimer: No pedestrians, dogs or hotel bath towels were harmed in the making of this trip report.

post_29_16831_Tusc04_047.jpg

I polled the guys snowed in up in the northeast and yes, we all hate you... :not:

but seriously, thanks for taking the time to post and write this great thread.. Looks like a wonderful time. Its inspiring

Cheers, Tim

in still sunny Northern California