Oil leak -- help !

dbdicker

one day indian summer today, went into the garage to start up the Scura, small oil pool under the bike -- only perhaps 15 drops or so, accumulated since last week. Definately motor oil, the pool has formed under the point where the frame connects to the bottom of the left (gearchange side) porkchop, where the shop stand goes. Clearly the oil has dripped from somewhere else and collected here to drip down. In addition there is some blowback on the crossbar of the swingarm, mostly on the left side, where some dirt is clinging to where the oil shot back. some signs in that area of blow back on the exhaust pipe as well.

Did an oil change about 1500 miles ago, everything seemed fine. Changed tires about 300 miles ago, I can't imagine what I could have done to cause an oil weep from that but what do I know? Of course, I've looked as hard as I can but there's a lot in the way, can't imagine where in the back of the crankcase this could be coming from??

Is there a breather somewhere that might be clogged? this seems to be happening whether running or sitting idle. anybody had a similar experience? Ideas for analysis, seriousness, methods of diagnosis? I'm still under warranty (provided I can find out what's wrong and convince my local dealer to honor it )

Bike running great and the oil level hasn't dipped enough to worry me ( I think.....that dipstick is really unFATHOMABLE, if you ask me)

HELP! (at the very least, tell me it's not serious........) :)

With these italian bikes, it's always SOMETHING..............can you say R1150R? I shoulda NEVER sold my beemer................ :(

Dan

clean the bottom of the engine and look under the engine, behind the oil pan where the transmission and engine cases mate. There is a small weep hole between the two. See if there is oil leaking from that hole.

...small oil pool under the bike....the pool has formed under the point where the frame connects to the bottom of the left (gearchange side) porkchop...

You sure it's not gearbox oil. Gearbox commonly weeps onto crossover, then onto floor.

Check on the left side behind the head. there is a small gasket there I forget what exactly it does, I believe it is part of the ignition system. that gasket has a tendency to rupture and leak. if you notice a leg of oil rolling down your block follow it up and it might lead you to that exact point. I recently noticed an oil leak as well which flowed down the left side on to the kick stand and concluded it came from that junction it was repaired easily.