Ohlins fork seals gone again

Baldini

No, this is not "normal" :blink:

I know JohnK here in SF had some similar issues with the seals on his Ohlins after they didn't use the special "Ohlins seal goo"(seriously). I think after he replaced the seals another time with the correct grease/sealant, they worked fine.... :huh2:

He didn't find any knicks in the sliders, etc, but this is always the first thing to check for when one has repeated seal failures.

al

Stanchion surfaces are good. I used Ohlins grease to lube them when I fitted them...& keep stanchions lubed with same. Both seals went at same time. I don't wheelie it, do keep it clean & change fork oil (Ohlins)....It's ridden fairly hard on bumpy roads...:huh2: KB

It's been 2 or 3 thousand miles since my last seal change. So far so good.

I am concerned that since these are 'performance' parts Ohlins could say that 5-10 K miles would be considered normal and that you should be replacing the seals by then anyway for 'optimum performance' or some malarky like that.

If I were racing, sure, but not for commuting across the bay bridge.

I know my Works Performance shocks blow their seals every 15K miles or so. Works says they should be rebuilt every year or two. They charge a couple hundred dollars for this rebuilding and don't even replace they mounting bushings....

Best of luck to you Baldini.

johnk

"Bumpy"...I don't use it on tracks/trails but some of the smaller roads round here can be pretty uneven...

...since these are 'performance' parts Ohlins could say that 5-10 K miles would be considered normal.../quote]

yeah...that's what I was wondering...but this last set only been on maybe 6 months/4K miles - I'll give them a ring,see.

Thanks, KB :sun: